Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Substitutes-UPDATE

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:54 AM
  • 15 Replies

How do your children do with subs when their teacher is out?  Usually Brady is fine as the aide in the classroom is there and he loves her plus they do a lot of activites with the class next door and those 2 teachers are close to Brady as well.  He's never had a problem with a sub before until yesterday....the sub was an older man, probably in his 60s or so, I witnessed him telling Brady to use his words instead of crying!  Really?  Are you kidding me?  Brady DOESN'T TALK!  After spending 3.5 hours with my son, he didn't infer that Brady was non-verbal?  Why in the world would he tell Brady to use his words?  Needless to say, I'm having a talk with the principal and his teacher on Monday morning, and Brady will NOT go back to school when his teacher is out...usually she tells me when she's out...I knew she'd be out yesterday.  She even texts me when she's sick to let me know she won't be there.  Brady is only 4 and not required by state law to go to school, so if she isn't there, he won't be there either.  I'm livid!

Okay...vent over!

UPDATE - I spoke with Brady's teacher and another teacher this morning (at the school carnival) about the substitute situation.  Come to find out, this man was NOT Brady's sub yesterday.  He was a sub in another classroom, who happened to be in the hall when Brady was crying.  Still, he had NO right to come up, and intrude on the situation...he DID NOT know my child and I better NEVER see that man again!  The teachers have stated they don't like this man, that he tries to tell them how to do their job and such...they have complained about him, but for some reason he keeps getting calls to sub.  Needless to say, Brady will NOT go to school if there is a sub in his class.

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
willysmama
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Willy can't seem to handle men teachers or men in general. He always seems to have a meltdown when one tries to talk to him. This year it changed a little with the firemen that came to talk to him in his class one on one.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Brady doesn't do well with men either to be honest...women have been the best for him.

Quoting willysmama:

Willy can't seem to handle men teachers or men in general. He always seems to have a meltdown when one tries to talk to him. This year it changed a little with the firemen that came to talk to him in his class one on one.

willysmama
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Brady doesn't do well with men either to be honest...women have been the best for him.

Quoting willysmama:

Willy does very well with the women too. Which should be interesting since my choice of teachers for him next year are both males.

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Jacob does very good when his teacher is gone. And she is gone a lot.  They always try to keep an aide that my son does good with or at least knows. But most of th time it's always the same sub.  But I like her better then the teacher. Cause she even come over and talk to me like if something happens or even if he does something cute. And I think he even does better with the sub cause I have notice he will be extra extra happy. He is happy with the aides. I just think we both not crazy about the teacher.  I only got worried one time cause they had a man sub. My son is kind of scared of big men. He still not crazy about our manager. And we see him everyday. At least when we walk in office he don't cry and scream anymore.  But he was fine with the man sub but that's cause he had his aide.   You would think a new sub would get papers talking about the kids at least the ones that have special needs so they know.

kgsharber
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Did you tell the sub what an ass he was?

Mipsy
by Chelle on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Ugh omg! How stupid can he be?! We always have the same sub it seems but I don't care for her much. she seems kinda air headish. But the aides take great care of Ty so I never worry and they notify me if anything is wrong. I think the reason women teachers tend to fare better is they have that natural nurturing spirit and our kids sense that
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jjamom
by Michele on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:13 PM
OMG, what kind of out-of-touch sub was that? He's in a special needs class and he cant figure out he's non-verbal after several hours? I'd be pissed too!

Alex has no problems with subs, since he is a very go with the flow kind of kid. But he has been saying "where S"? All week since his teacher has been out. He's still asking about Ms. Wo too, his teacher from last year!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Nov. 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Ugh!!! That sucks

Elijah gets ansy and anxious, but handles it okay when there's a sub
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gma12.1
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM

So far all the teachers that Lina has had try to tell the kids 2 days in advance so that they have a chance to get used to the idea that she will be gone, the aids try to do the same thing it helps her alot. Most of the time she can go with the flow but we have had some bad days when it is a sudden absence. She has real trouble if her bus driver is a sub and if the sub is a driver she has never had before, her bus driver's have all tried to give the kids notice.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I should have:)  I just started crying myself when I heard Brady crying and realized that he had been waiting for me, and it was my fault I was late:(  If I ever see him again, I will definitely have a few choice words for him!

Quoting kgsharber:

Did you tell the sub what an ass he was?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)