Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Is it bad?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son has ODD and is being evaluated for SPD or ASD or both or a developmental disorder. He also has severe asthma (which currently is under control) and a speech delay. He is 3 years old. Before I ask my question I'll give you some background. He co-slept (same bed as me) for first 2 months, then only slept with me about 50% of the time other than that he slept in his own room or in a bassinet in my room, by 6 months he only slept with me when sick or scared. By 1 year old that changed to only when sick. By 18 months it became never, even when sick he wanted his bed, by himself. So I remember exactly how many times we've coslept since then (not including this week)....between 18-30 months none, and for 3 days at 2 1/2 when he was in the hospital (pnuemonia) they put him in an adult bed so I snuggled with him the whole time (as he requested). When he came home, he asked to sleep alone. Then I didn't sleep with him again until he was almost 3 and was 3. I did for 4 days while he was in ICU before his 3rd birthday and 2 days in the hospital when he was 3. Now he is a few months past 3 years old. He has been sleeping alone in his own room. But recently stopped sleeping much at all.  He claimed to see "monsters" "vampires" in his room. I tried countless things to help that, nothing did. He also would wake up mulitple times in the night with nightmares, claims of being sad, or claims of being scared. Then this past week he asked to sleep with me. So I let him, but then it became an every night thing. (My husband switched beds with him, our queen is so not big enough, so i slept with 3 year old, and husband slept in the 3 year olds twin size bed). Well so my husband can move back in the room, but we can still support whatever my son is going through. (I am not opposed to him being in our room). I turned the crib that was in our room for the baby back into a toddler bed. Tonight is his first night sleeping there instead of my bed (thought it could be a way to transition him out or at least a way to get my husband back (seems wrong for spouses to sleep in seperate rooms). The baby (3 months old) doesnt like to sleep in his crib and hates co-sleeping. He loves his bassinet or his swing, both of which are in the living room. So I didn't take the crib from the baby. So if this helps the 3 year old do you think it's okay. No we are not worried about him interruptting our sex life. We rarely have time for that right now and honestly if we really want to, we can get a babysitter (doesn't have to be a "at night thing").

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I think it's fine. Of course both our kids are in our room. :/

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM
Sounds like the best solution for all involved right now! Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:30 AM

I agree here.  Do what works best for YOU mama!  Don't worry about what others do or say...hugs!

Quoting Elyssa414:

gma12.1
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Since he transitioned himself to his own room & bed he will probably do that again when he is ready again. I don't think that is a problem at all. Lina is 8 and still sleeps in our room. It took us 6 yrs to get her out of our bed, 1 yr to get her out of our room, then 4 months later she was back in her bed in our room due to her needs.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

DDDaysh
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I think it's fine.  This is one of those places where there's really not a "one size fits all" solution.  Go with your gut to make him comfortable.  

CameronsMommy23
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM
I agree with both of these ladies. Do what works.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I agree here.  Do what works best for YOU mama!  Don't worry about what others do or say...hugs!

Quoting Elyssa414:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
racadi
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I also agree with all above! My sisters little girl had problems with monsters too. My sister put water in a cheap spray bottle she got at the dollar store and put cool stickers on it and told her it was special spray that would keep the monsters and scarythings away and she would spray it all around the bed and room. It was only water so it didn't hurt anything. Worked for her .Maybe you could try something like that. Keep us posted n good luck!!  

i.heart.myboys
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM
I agree with the people above.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM

We have an Open Door policy - if they need to come in, as long as they are quiet and dont wake us, then can join us.  

So if it works for you, do it.  As for school and medical professionals...they will tell you no, or act as tho you are some "sick o".  What happens in your house, to promote a good nites sleep for everyone, is your business.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN