Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

"just a boy"

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:55 PM
  • 11 Replies

our little guy just turned 5 he has NF1 recently we went threw a panel of doctors because he has no concept when it comes to numbers colors letters shapes ect. and was told by them that he was just a boy and boys learn slower and he will be fine and to top it off they told us everything we had all ready told them like how he has low impulse control for example , it is sooo frustrating has anyone else had to deal with this type of thing?????

I'm really starting to hate doctors anymore because they treat me like I'm stupid

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM

*hugs* I hope you can find a dr that will give you a dx.

gma12.1
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM

So far I've been lucky and I know it. I hate to hear when a Dr talks to a parent like they are stupid. I've had those kind when my kids were growing up, but so far the ones that care for Lina don't do that. I am so thankful for that. I wish all Dr's especially those that deal with sn/medically fragile kids wouldn't do that because those Dr's need all the help & input we can give them so that they can make the proper calls for the care of the child.

CameronsMommy23
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience! Our drs have been pretty nice so far.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM

That stinks. I am sorry you are having a hard time. I haven't had any issues with my sons doctors. They have been comppletely supportive when they are dealing with him.

I am sorry, but I don't know what NF1 is. Flash cards are a fun way to reinforce learning.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM
We've been told by the drs that evaluated our oldest that he'll grow out of everything and be fine in a year or two. He has an educational diagnosis if aspergers. He has fine motor delay, gross motor delay, severe sensory processing delay, etc. the motor delays he's making improvements on but not the other areas.
I hate drs. They add more frustration than anything. Try to get a second opinion. And maybe try an eval thru the school system?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Yep.  My fav is he needs to be punished more.  If you feel there is an issue...have him tested for dyslexia and it's cousins dysgraphia and dyscalcula.  Push it.  Was he evaluated by a pediatric neurologist?

robsangel
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Quoting natesmom1228:

That stinks. I am sorry you are having a hard time. I haven't had any issues with my sons doctors. They have been comppletely supportive when they are dealing with him.

I am sorry, but I don't know what NF1 is. Flash cards are a fun way to reinforce learning.

NF1 is neurofibromatosis  type 1 it is a genetic disorder that causes tumors to grow on the nerve endings in or out of the body and comes with a wonderful list of other complications as well, if you would like to be more informed you can go to www.ctf.org this affects all children of every race and sex equally the only un-equal thing is how sever one may have it, it occurs in 1 in every 3,000 births.

and thanks for the flash card advice we have tried and use it when he gets frustrated with other things

i.heart.myboys
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM
I hope you get a dx soon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I was told by a dr that hes just being a boy. Thats what boys do. Some drs are so clueless. WE know our kids best. And WE know when something isnt right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much for the link. I always want to be informed so I know what is going on with others. I hate having to say, I don't know.

Quoting robsangel:

Quoting natesmom1228:

NF1 is neurofibromatosis  type 1 it is a genetic disorder that causes tumors to grow on the nerve endings in or out of the body and comes with a wonderful list of other complications as well, if you would like to be more informed you can go to www.ctf.org this affects all children of every race and sex equally the only un-equal thing is how sever one may have it, it occurs in 1 in every 3,000 births.

and thanks for the flash card advice we have tried and use it when he gets frustrated with other things

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN