Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Communication with ur sn child... Thanks ladies! My reply below

Posted by   + Show Post
Conner is deaf and sign language is hard for him sort of cause he has sporatic movement of his hands and fingers. He is a year this wed and i feel bad cause i cant communicate with him like i wish to. I know he is still young but i was wondering how do you communicate with your child if they cant hear or talk? Thank you all for answering! I am going to continue to sign with him. I didnt know about the pecs system and i looked into it and it sounds like a good idea to try. Im going to start off with simple things like eat or bath. And take the pictures myself. :) yaw have been so helpful again thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Replies (11-16):
motha2daDuchess
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:43 AM

do you have people from the state helping you? does the state cover programs? My dd is 4 almost 5 and still pretty non verbal and she is HOH, I'm gonna say the sign thing clicked one day and it was crazy, the 1st word she signed that she understood what the sign actually meant was cookie..those the signs she knows the best now, don't get discouraged!

jmegee
by Jayme on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I am starting to use PECS too. My son signs only a few things but also confuses other I agree with some of the other ladies on as they get older they start using their own signs or ways to communicate. My son is now 4 and does just that but PECS is helping my huge! They have free ones you can down load and print for free!  :)

motha2daDuchess
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM

there is also the baby signing time, they have a website and it is on the nickolodeon website

lifeisajoy
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Prcs we have used for yrs and a dynavox too my son use and adaptive sign we put pecs on a board in books and on a necklace thing so he has multiple ways to communicate we make duplicates of peca so he uses them so much that they become worn and he has easy access to them I keep all his means o f communication in his reach 

lifeisajoy
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:23 AM

We also use multiple lea p frog products and other toys we use whatever we can find for our son and try it and if it works we use it and if it donot then we move on with the next thing we also make sure everyone working with our child is on the same page it seems sometimes they are more reluctant to use things with son like dynavox and pics but we train them to use them too and that includes family members to use them too

trio8707
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I have 2 non verbal children- Olivia has no speech at all, for her needs it's simply a matter of trial and error to see what makes her happy.  Blake is extremely limited verbally, he has words for very basic needs such as 'yes' 'no' 'ma' 'da' 'bath'<- for toilet.  Other than that it's just trial and error asking him what he wants.  Neither of them took to PECS or any other time of alternative communication device.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN