Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

What special needs do your kids have?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM
  • 38 Replies
Just curious. From reading the posts it sounds like there's a good variety here. I have 3 kids. One has an educational diagnosis of aspergers. He's 6. My daughter is 4 and considered developmentally delayed with sensory processing disorder and possible autism. My you gets is 2.5 and is developmentally delayed with possible red flags for autism.

If y'all wouldnt mind sharing I'd love to see. Also, if its a rare or less common situation could you explain a little?

ETA, my youngest also deals with reflux, celiacs, and breathing problems caused by the reflux. So glad he doesn't mind his meds and inhaler!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bellum
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I have an 11 year old with Down syndrome, a 9 year old with dyslexia, and a 6 year old girl who is deaf.  I also was a special ed teacher for kids with severe disabilities.

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM
My oldest son had severe intractable epilepsy, (300+ seizures a day) and subsequently 4 massive brain surgeries that have left him half blind and permenantly developmentally disabled AND SEIZURE FREE!!!! :)

My younger two are typical.

My foster son has Alternating hemiplegia and probable cerebral palsy. He is 8 and can't walk or talk and is learning to self-feed, but still takes most of his fluid and meds through a g-tube. He also has oral dysphagia and is in diapers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Wow! And I thought we were stressed!!
Mipsy
by Chelle on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM
My son is 4.5 and mostly considered medically complex. He has epilepsy, asthma, gerd, gastroparesis, severe constipation, dysmotility, developmental delays, apraxia of speech, and auditory processing disorder.
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Oh, is that all?? Lol ;)

Quoting Mipsy:

My son is 4.5 and mostly considered medically complex. He has epilepsy, asthma, gerd, gastroparesis, severe constipation, dysmotility, developmental delays, apraxia of speech, and auditory processing disorder.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
T-HoneyLuv
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM
My SN child has SPD, Tactile defensiveness, PUVs ( birth defect ), Neurogenic Bladder and Bowels, Chronic Renal Failure ( will need a kidney transplant ), Polyuria ( excessive urination causing dangerous dehydration ), Anemia, Severe Intestinal Dysmotility ( cannot stool even with 6 daily laxatives and suppository ), Gastroparesis, GERD, Metabolic Acidosis, Chronic Joint pains, small for size, Severe Bilateral Hydronephrosis and Hydroureter, ( scarring and dilation of kidneys and ureters ), Vitamn Deficiency and electrolyte imbalances due to renal disease, eczema, immune deficency, Grade 5 Bilateral Urinary reflux, Chronic Kidney Infections. He has had dozens of surgeries and procedures, takes over 20 meds and at times has taken close to 30. Spent a huge majority of his life inpatient and has a stoma and has needed catheterization, Nephrostomy tubes and stents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM

My son is 11 and he has ADHD, Tourette Syndrome, and OCD. His tics come and go. His tic right now is more vocal then movement.

Mipsy
by Chelle on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Lol, right?! Haha

Quoting Elyssa414:

Oh, is that all?? Lol ;)

Quoting Mipsy:

mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Ds has Cerebral Palsy, Polymircogyria (a brain malformation), developmental delays, seizures, and had severe reflux, until we had surgery in Feb to stop it.

jdip5
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM

My 4 year old son Jack has moderate-severe cerebral palsy.  Tyler (also 4) has a very mild hearing loss, but it doesn't affect him at all and the only treatment we do is just monitoring him to make sure it doesn't get worse.  The other 2 boys are typically developing children, and Brittyn is only a month old but there is no reason to suspect anything.

Jack's cerebral palsy is a result of TTTS in the womb, and Tyler's hearing loss is also from the prematurity.  They are identical twins.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)