Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

medication

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM
  • 7 Replies
My daughter has anxiety disorder which breaks into her school work. She use to be on Zoloft 50mgs she came off because her dr moved ot of state and it took a bit to get her back on it. After being off of it for 3 months she had a huge melt down and i took her to the ER i told them what was going on and they put her back on 50mgi called the school and told them. The caseworker four her IEP said if the meds would rise gradually. I told her I wouldn't know until we see her regular psychic on the 24th. U thought it was kind of a strange question. I'm also getting jkind of mad that when i told her my daughter is no longer on meds she said well that explains a lot. I feel very pressured baby the school not only to medicate my daughter but now also to up her meds. Not really by the whole school but mostly by this caseworker. My question is who do i go to about this issue and is there a chance her meds will go up? She is 9 almost 10.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
natesmom1228
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:56 AM

My son was on Zoloft for a very short time. It was horrible and I had him taken off of it immediatly. The only person that can dicate meds is you. I always research the meds that any doctor wants to put my son on. He is currently on Daytrana Patch during the day and Clodoine and Amatrypeline at night. A caseworker is not a doctor and has no authority to say if meds are going to be increased. What does her doctor say?

mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:04 PM

A lot of meds are suppose to increase as their bodies get use to it, to make sure it remains effective. Good luck.

mamaBerg85
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM
50Mg is a lot for a kid. U can't expect it to continue to go up right away.
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:57 PM
My son is on 25mg, at 37.5mg he "activated" and his behavior became TERRIBLE!! So we went back down to 25, and that helps his anxiety without triggering horrible behavior problems.

The school can try to pressure you, but YOU are mom. You get to decide if YOUR child should be medicated.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Just tell her you'll do what the dr says to. Is there any way you can get her another case worker?
Hottubgodess
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Many schools want us to medicate our kids into complacency.  Boys who are busy need adhd meds.  Otherwise they have to deal with the problem.  Mike is my Aspie.  He has anxiety due to Sensory Overload.  Medication is not necessary if the teacher a) understands he is sensitive/defensive to stimuli and b) respects his processing delay.  Last years teacher didnt give a rats backside.  Her way or highway. 

What causes her anxiety? 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Great advice...hugs OP!

Quoting Elyssa414:

My son is on 25mg, at 37.5mg he "activated" and his behavior became TERRIBLE!! So we went back down to 25, and that helps his anxiety without triggering horrible behavior problems.

The school can try to pressure you, but YOU are mom. You get to decide if YOUR child should be medicated.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)