Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

How do you do it; lack of sleep

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:14 AM
  • 14 Replies
How do you mommas who are sleep deprived due to medical issues of your child survive? Ty has always been what most parents consider a "great sleeper", nevermind the fact that his excessive sleep habits are as a result if life threatening seizures and other medical conditions. Well these last couple months the seizures have changed and are now waking us (Ty and I) up at night (dh works graveyard shift and sleeps during the day, so I am up with Ty all day and night by myself). Ty gets up multiple times confused as to where he is and why and the time of the night. He also has had abdominal pain and gtube pain causing him to wake screaming bloody murder in pain. So I'm averaging 3-4hrs of sleep at night. I AM DYING HERE! I'm exhausted! I'm crying over everything! I've got little to no patience left for Ty. Help?! I can't drink coffee due to religious reasons. I try to nap when Ty does but its A) the only alone time I get and B) when I get most of all the household work done. =/ I get respite care but that's when dh and I run most of our outside errands. I'm debating looking into getting a night time nurse =/ any other suggestions?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Our 4year old has a lot of sleeping problems cause of his autism.  So I eat a lot of sugar to stay awake. For a few weeks we put him on melatonin. And that worked half the night but he still got up at 4am. And up for the day. No naps !  I need some new ideas on how to hide his pills ? He won't eat pudding anymore. I have tryed apple sauce and he won't eat. Juice he can taste meds so he won't drink. So I try to sleep when he at school but we notice his brother not sleeping good. 20minute nap. And he up at night some nights. I understand about crying. Cause I do that.  Sorry I'm no help. I just say sugar and record my shows so I can at least watch them to stay awake. 

jjamom
by Michele on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I blame the fact that I can no longer EVER feel rested enough on years of sleep deprivation!  It's probably good that you can't drink coffee, I drink far to much and I am just immune to it at this point.  How about having a trusted relative take him for a few days?  That is what helps me most, when I am the most exhausted, although I usually end up feeling guilty and spending most of that time catching up on housework or errands, etc.  We all need to learn to take the time graciously given us and use it for real downtime for US, so we can recharge!  

Mipsy
by Chelle on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I think this weekend I may see if family doesn't mind taking Ty for a bit and I will try to get everything done around the house today and tomoerow so I can rest mostly in friday.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I hope you get to take some naps! Maybe have grandparents come over for an hour in the afternoon for a short nap? Or does Ty nap? Sleep when he does!

mali321
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Sorry you are not getting sleep. I don't have any advice, I don't get much sleep. Good luck!!

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Oh, I feel you. Jeremiah is a terrible sleeper. Always has been. If he sleeps a full night twice a week it's a miracle. I usually get between 3-5 hours of sleep most nights. I drink a ton of coffee and try to keep busy to stay awake lol. I know, not helpful. If you could get a night nurse, even just for a couple nights a week that would be great. If you can afford it, let hubby take over on his day off, rent a hotel room in town, and sleep. That's what I fantasize about lol
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm so sorry. My 1 year old wakes up and has to be nursed back to sleep 3-4 times a night and my foster son makes awful snorting/spitting noises all night that keep me up.

I cry at the drop of a hat too. Last night, Lion wouldn't go to sleep and I was sobbing because I so desperately wanted to sleep! And then when I finally can go to bed, I just want to not do it because I know I'm going to have to wake up againSOON, and it seems pointless and cruel to lay down.

I take a multi-vitamin plus iron, and if I forget it, I can't function! It really does help me get through the days!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Big hugs mama!  I know it's hard!  If you have some family around, I would definitely recommend using them if you can:)  We don't have family around to help and I really wish we did at times!  Brady has always been a good sleeper too.  He did get up last night though:(  Hugs!

MsLogansMommy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:21 AM

My dd was a horrible sleeper when she was younger thankfully she is a good sleeper now cause I dont know how much longer I could take and when people would say to nap when she does I would always wonder if i napped when she napped then when on earth would I get everything done im a single mom so if i dont do the dishes and laundry and make dinner then it doesnt get done so really what am i suppose to do I do agree with the other momma about taking vitamins I continued to take my prenatals for about a year after I had her. I now just take a regular multivitamin cause there is such thing as getting too much and some vitamins have a toxicity level I also take fish oil that to me is like a cure for everything. my only recommendation is to accept help whenever it is offered I always felt so ashamed when I would ask my friends for help i couldnt ask my family cause most of them live far away and the ones that do live here are kind of dysfunctional and arent really "kid' oriented people. I know I desparately needed to get regular showers that was a huge deal when my dd was an infant cause she never let me put her down I couldnt afford a sitter so I got one of those sponsored memberships at the ymca that only cost $27 per month and they offer 1hr of free child care and instead of working out I would use that hour to just take a nice long relaxing shower I was resourceful I needed to shower and found a way to get it you do what you gotta do kwim?

Hottubgodess
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I remember those nites...the nursing that is....

Quoting Elyssa414:

I'm so sorry. My 1 year old wakes up and has to be nursed back to sleep 3-4 times a night and my foster son makes awful snorting/spitting noises all night that keep me up.

I cry at the drop of a hat too. Last night, Lion wouldn't go to sleep and I was sobbing because I so desperately wanted to sleep! And then when I finally can go to bed, I just want to not do it because I know I'm going to have to wake up againSOON, and it seems pointless and cruel to lay down.

I take a multi-vitamin plus iron, and if I forget it, I can't function! It really does help me get through the days!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)