Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Eating: Fine Motor delays

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:57 PM
  • 8 Replies

Does anyone have any ideas how I can help my 2 1/2 year old with eating? We've been trying so hard with him and an occupational therapist on eating. We've got him to where he will use a spoon or fork, but it's extremely inconsistant. He's better with the spoon than the fork, which is understandable since scooping is easier than spearing. I just wondered if any mommies had any eating tricks up their sleeves to help his progression!

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM
My youngest is the same age and is just learning to use silverware as well. He just started therapy so they haven't worked with him on it yet. I've been doing hand over hand while repeating simple one word steps. "Scoop, open(mouth), close(mouth), chew, swallow." Seems to be getting through, just takes a lot of practice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jjamom
by Michele on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Consistency is definitely key.  Keep trying.  I know how frustrating it is, but don't give up!  My son went to an intensive feeding therapy program (6 weeks, all day everyday M-F).  It was the best thing we ever did for him for his feeding issues.  We are still working on a lot of things a year and a half later, but he is continually making progress and has come so far.  Are his issues with feeding behavioral, developmental, muscle tone, muscle coordination, something else, or a combination?  The nice thing about the feeding clinic is that it is multidisciplinary.  My son had a GI doctor, nurse practitioner, OT, SLP, nutritionist and a Behavioral Psychologist on his team.  If I knew a little more, I might be able to offer more tips or tricks.  Good luck!

I just noticed the title of your post again.  If he has oral motor delays, a good oral motor program and oral motor stimulation/exercise just prior to eating may be helpful as well.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:59 AM

I honestly don't know mama.  My 4 year old is just now eating baby food and is primarily fed through a g-tube...he's nowhere near ready for self feeding.  Good luck and hugs!

lifeisajoy
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:44 AM

I always remind my son to poke it or fork it and my son uses a eating strip

sondamom0828
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM

My dd is 6 and still doesn't do well with using a fork/spoon at home (not sure about school).  She will go to see an outside (of school) OT on Dec 7 and I am going to ask about it (I will let you know what they say about it.  She is going because she doesn't chew her food.

bankaibabe
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:35 PM

They haven't really given me any terms, but we do notice he drools a lot. His OT recommended brushing his teeth so he'd be more aware of his mouth. He was not down with that at all. We have him eat with us and always give him utensils. He's made a lot of progress we just can't seem to move past the fact it is "easier and faster" to use his hands. He doesn't always hold the utensil right either, and seems to have a little trouble with hand-eye coordination. 

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:37 PM
My 2 1/2 year old rarely uses her utensils. I wasn't aware that was something she should be doing by now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trio8707
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I'm not sure, neither of my children with CP can self feed.  They just don't have the motor skill ability.  We try hand over hand feeding sometimes with Blake, maybe do that so he can learn the motion

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)