Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

If your child has a learning disability?

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:22 PM
  • 18 Replies

If your child has a learning disability...

Did you consent to having them tested right away?

What did you observe that convinced you to have it looked into?

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Joy on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:25 PM

yes i let there be testing , he had issues with comprehension , learning in all areas were-are  delayed,

gabbie40
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Yes I had her tested at the age of three she couldn't comprehend on how to spell her name or write it or learning her color and also found out that she had ADHD
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 24, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Bump! 

JenaSmith
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM
yep. When conner was not doing what a baby should i made sure he got tested in everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smile357
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Yes definately I let him be tested. We could tell before he was 1 year old. He has always had signs that pointed to autism.

lifeisajoy
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Bump for my son adopters we already knew when adopted him but had to have an outside of school iq test couple years ago to go to life skills program it was already knew that was most thorough test he had

girl_incognito
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:55 AM

As soon as I suspected it I requested an evaluation through the school. My daughter has nonverbal learning disability (NVLD) and a specific learning disability in math (dyscalculia)

With my daughter she was 9 (she is almost 11 now) when I started to notice certain things. Her handwriting was extremely large, smooshed together, mix of upper case and lower case letters. (I was told she would grow out of this when I pointed it out in 2nd grade) She has lots of trouble with spelling, even when given the word to copy she still couldn't copy right. She mixes up her math symbols, can not line things up in columns, or write on a line. She gets confused by complex directions and can not remember things if you do not tell her one specific thing at a time. She has a lot of trouble with abstract thinking, although abstract thinking is a skill that has to develop, she has tested below average for her age group. She can not copy things from the blackboard, not because her eyesight is bad, because her brain can not properly process the information. She also complains of words moving around on the page.

She is unable to organize thoughts into paragraphs when instructed to write (say for a school project). 

girl_incognito
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Oh and I am not sure if you are talking about learning disabilies or  developmental./mental/physical disabilities in general, i also have a son with aspergers and ADHD. If you are interested in what I observed with him and how that process went I will gladly share.

sammygrl77
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:46 AM
I had voiced my concerns with my oldest from kindergarten until 3rd grade when a teacher finally took my concerns seriously. She had trouble with writing and reading. Back then I knew nothing about the process. It was her 3rd grade teacher who let me know I could request testing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mi_Chelly
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:54 AM
We voiced concerns, but his ped blew them off most of the time, saying once he got to school age he would grow into everything we were worried about (peds always blamed his older siblings). Well, he started preschool and the teachers said they couldn't handle him and requested testing. We consented, the first round was very rushed, as we had orders to Germany and the school wanted at least enough to start an IEP. When we got to Germany, military early education took over and did more tests. Getting the tests done allowed the schools to know what they needed to do to help him learn.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)