Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

If your child has a learning disability?

Posted by   + Show Post

If your child has a learning disability...

Did you consent to having them tested right away?

What did you observe that convinced you to have it looked into?

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Replies (11-18):
Children040506
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I have 2 kids with Learning disabilites completely opposite of each other but both older kids.

I have 2 kids that seem to be normal.

I have the Learning disabilities

My oldest she doesnt get anything if she doesnt get the foundation of the issue at hand.I have known since she was 2

My other child he has speech delays and so it holds him back I have known since he was 2

I have consented to testing and we have found that Maybe by doing so we can get somewhere if nothing new develops then I would like to homeschool my kids with learning disabilites!

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Zack's learning disabilities are tied to his aspergers and spd, so we discovered them when he did all the other testing. He has an auditory processing delay, so you have to repeat directions, one step at a time, and several times. He also struggles with reading, but that's quickly improving. He's only 6 so we may find he has more issues as he gets older, or he may learn to overcome these ones. I'm shooting for the later.

Maggie also has an autditory processing delay. we repeat alot at our house lol. but, she learns quickly. Her comprehension test put her on the higher end of her age range. That in itself causes problems. Comprehension wise she ranks at 5 years old. Emotionally and developmentally she's much younger. And her motor skills are more around a 2-3 year old level. So, she's a bit complicated.

Jeremiah is not quite 3 so we haven't really seen any learning disability type problems with him yet. he does have some fine motor issues, sensory issues, and trouble grasping concepts like cause and effect. he doesn't understand if he kicks the blocks they'll fall down. Sticker charts or other forms of rewards or punishment don't do anything for him. educationally he's smart as a whip. He knows about half of his letters, both uppercase and lowercase, recognizes shapes, numbers, etc.

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Yes, my son was tested at 3 because no one could understand a word he said. His first test was actually for hearing, but he hearing was fine. I have consented for whatever test they wanted to do. I was right there with him so anything I didn't feel was necessary, I put a stop to.

lovinallofthem
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:52 PM

i had my middle son tested at 4 years old, but i could see 'issues' with him at 1 1/2. mostly behaviorial, but that - i knew- was leading to learning delays/disabilities. 

with my last child, i didnt want to see the signs, and they WERE different signs.. but i had her tested in 3rd grade

also check out the http://www.llesd.k12.ca.us/SpecEd_ParentInformationHandbook.pdf parents handbook and rights to equal education under the IEP and IDEA   if the link wont work (( i cant recall if cafemom allows links )) just copy and paste it into search bar.. it is a PDF filej and although its a certain school district most things are the same across the board: 

The Special Education Cycle

Referral

15 days to Assessment Plan

15 days to Parent Consent

Assessment

50 Calendar Days

Individualized Education Plan Meeting

Placement/Service Commences

Instruction

Annual Review

gma12.1
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM

My ds is dyslexic. I was finally able to get him tested between 5th & 6th grade. In 1st grade his teacher praised him to me about how well he could read. I told her he couldn't read she wouldn't listen. Typical of dyslexic he could memorize everything and able to recite it back to the teacher using the pictures in the book to "read" that page to her. 3rd grade teacher told me he can't read duuuhhh. Trying to get the school to do their thing so that I could get him tested then getting the appt to get him tested it was the worst 2.5 years. After getting dx's he got the help he needed in Jr HS and did great & graduated with a B average, now has a bachelor's degree in criminal justice.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

dawncs
by Dawn on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I went through school with the classification of being learning disabled. It was free to my parents throughout my schooling. I got recognized early with my learning difficulties. I received the help early before I really fell behind in school. In high school, I was mainstreamed for all but one of my classes, and I could not handle full time mainstreaming or inclusion on the workload with the more difficult courses. I attended and graduated college. You might want to read these websites for more information: http://www.wrightslaw.com/ and http://www.ldonline.org/.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

babyluv23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Yes he does. He got tested.

mommyto3121405
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:07 AM
we had her tested at 2 just took awhile to get services she was so much better once we hit mainstream school
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)