Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Seeking advice from anyone who has SSI or SSDI (?) for their special needs or disabled kids

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:31 AM
  • 31 Replies

My son is 7 years old. He is severely hearing impaired, ADHD, Disruptive Behavioral Disorder and also currently waiting for potential "high spectrum" Autism evaluation. At the moment he goes to a "school" which is really half education and have integrated therapy. Between my disabilities and illnesses and my son's hearing loss and neurobehavioral issues, the doctors appts and IEP meetings and him being set home, etc etc, and I'm a single mother- there is just absolutely no way that I can work doing anything that is not at home (I just started a resume business which is great but it takes a lot of time and money to market your business online). I was wondering if other mothers on here have gotten SSI or SSDI for their kids, what the process is like and if it's hard and takes a long time. I have already applied before for me and even being deaf and chronically ill I did not qualify but now that my son has his "diagnoses" officially I thought maybe I'd have better luck getting some gov't assistance.

Cafe mom is such a wonderful place to talk to other moms and get info! Thanks to everyone for making it so great!

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeisajoy
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi --it really depends-I too have SSDI but had to appeal it I have epilepsy shingles nerve damage, severe migraines and PTSD and colitis and I had to go to a court hearing and get a lawyer-I got one for free pretty much he did get 20 percent of my settlement and they did not go far back but I just took it anyways and it was not a lot for the settlment but now I get a monthly check-due to probably I worked for years but I did get it-it took me 2 years

Now for my son -really no problems went and did application online and then had it within 30 to 60 days-He has spastic athetoid cp, non-verbal, in a wheelchair, 19 yrs old but on a toddler/pre-school level and he also has Disruptive Behavior disorder, and gastrological issues-He needs 24/7 care-

Resume_Writer
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Thanks for your response. My son doesn't need 24 hour care but he does need an aide at school (which they won't give him) and for me to attend five million meetings. :/ Schools are so clueless IMO.

lifeisajoy
1 mom liked this

Wish you the best and thinking of yous while going through the process-

Resume_Writer

Btw how did you apply online for the *child*, I only saw on the SS website for applying for me??

lifeisajoy
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:56 AM
2 moms liked this

make sure you have lots of medical documentation and all his doctors he has seen throughout his life-as much as you can get and their contact information

Resume_Writer
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks Tab! 

lifeisajoy
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Wait I am sorry I applied online for me and I had to go to social security office and get paperwork and information for my child-sorry I forgot-been a little while

Quoting Resume_Writer:

Btw how did you apply online for the *child*, I only saw on the SS website for applying for me??

sweetmissy_05
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

If he is severely hearing impaired and everything he should qualify pretty mjuch right away.  At least that is what I have heard.  Good luck to you!!

\My 4 year old gets SSI she has major global delays, SPD, ADD, and anxiety. 

redvelvet42
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

my situation is similar to yours. i have tons of health issues and my primary care doctors have determined that i cannot work and my health insurance carrier advised me to apply for ssdi and ssi. and i still got turned down.

i applied for my 11 yr old and she was approved within 3 mths - 100% disabled.

the process was long but well worth it. you will need copies of all doctor reports, hospitalizations if there are any, medications and/ or adaptive equipment. i also had reports from primary care (pediatrician), psychology at school and private sector, a psychiatrist, a social worker, her two home based therapist. i also submitted i.e.p. reports from school, school testing results ( i.q., psychological, and autism spectrum).

i was told my child would have an examination by doctors from social security but this was not required. social security sent me a check with 3 mths payment before they even sent the paperwork verifiying the results of their findings. social security is going paperless so i applied for a special debit card from ss that her check is loaded onto every month. she receives the maximum amount from age 10 - 18 yrs. she is also eligible for and receives a special category of medicaid which covers 100% all of her medical expenses, therapy, psychiatric hospitalizations if there are anymore and this coverage is independent.

if you have all of your documents ready you can apply over the phone with a live ss agent takes an hour minimum. and they'll give you a number so that you can check the status of your request.

sammygrl77
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this
It took me 3 years to get SSDI for myself. I had to hire an attorney. I could not get it for my ds because of income.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)