Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

*vent* bad day

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM
  • 25 Replies
Let me start by saying I know I'm wrong and need to have more patience and be more understanding, nut I'm very frustrated right now.

Brooke (5 years with spd).... this child is going to be the death of me! Everything , and I mean everything, is an argument. I say black she says white just to argue. She wanted so badly to do gymnastics, so I got her in a class and she loved it. The first 2 weeks anyway.

Last week she couldn't reach the bar so she walked out of class and refused to do anything else. The last 20 minutes was me telling her she had to stay in the gym until class was over and several times of me walking or carrying her back in. Then today, she refused to go in at all. I talked to the office manager, who was helpful and got Brooke to go back in. But she refused to participate. Finally, she did the balance beam, but got upset when she didn't do it perfect. She would not go participate anymore.

The office manager offered a parent-tot class instead. So I am taking my 5 year old to a 2-3 year old class because... ugh...I don't know. A completely difficult schedule now because dh has to take ds and there is a very small window between school ending and class beginning. Not to mention it being over right at rush hour. My schedule that day is already packed. Yes I am upset because it is inconvenient. And because I just hate her attitude of not doing things because she *might* fail. Homework has been a fight every single night because she gets mad that her lines aren't perfect the first time. I never expect perfection and always teach my kids to try. Just try and I am happy and proud.

I got to the point where I just could not talk to her because I was afraid I would yell and say bad things to her.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

*hugs* Hope this evening is relaxing. Take a little break from the kids! :)

jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs!  My DD has always been like that, so I feel your pain.  She doesn't have SN (well, except OCD) but otherwise similar to your DD.  hope you get a chance to relax later!

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh!! She sounds a lot like my 6 year old!! It's gotten better this year, but he's always so scared to mess up and gets so upset if he doesn't do something perfectly. The arguing with EVERYTHING phase is totally typical 4-5 year old crap. I hated that phase! Lol

Sending *HUGS* to you. I know how hard it can be when you just hit your limit with them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gma12.1
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Hope you can relax.  Maybe a nice long hot bath? That helps me when things get really bad.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

JOEJULA
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:28 AM

OMG this sounds just like my daughter! She is better now that she is on abilify. Although everything still has to be perfect all the time. Its never good enough, and she wants to give up. Do I let her absolutely not. I tell her progress not perfection, and I will work with her on dance routines and all that. Im starting to wonder what this is. Is it something new like OCD or something? She has been seeing a psychiatrist for two years and has progressed wonderfully except for this! Being hard on yourself is one thing, but giving up because you cant do it is another. It can be good and bad. I struggle with homework as well because she cant do it perfectly. Its REDICULOUS! Let me know if you know if your daughter has any other issues. My DD also as a child didn't want to be touched or cuddled. She just wanted to  swing in her swing for hours. DId your DD do this?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:01 AM

First of all, you are NOT wrong mama!  You are human, and we all feel that way at times.  I get frustrated Brady in different ways and just want to leave the room and not speak to him for the rest of the day...too bad that's not an option for either of us!  But, it doesn't stop us from wanting that at times.  Give yourself a break...you are a fantastic mom and you have every right to be frustrated at this situation!  Hugs!

Rantin1raven
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:02 AM

My dd is just like that shes9 and its getting worse. Not to scare you. I give you props for changing your schedule and keeping her in it. Good mama. 

natesmom1228
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

HUGS!!

sammygrl77
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM
She doesn't mind cuddling, but it isn't really important to her. She has always loved swinging and would spend all day swinging if she could. She did have an issue with laying down while swinging, but is over that.

Her issues; where to begin? She's always been quirky. She refuses to speak to people and it takes months and months before she will. She absolutely refuses to say hello to the therapists and receptionists we've seen several times a week for almost a year. It took about that long for her to talk to her own therapist, preschool teacher, and other kids in preschool. But then a few select people she will instantly bond with and be attached to them from the start.

Quoting JOEJULA:

OMG this sounds just like my daughter! She is better now that she is on abilify. Although everything still has to be perfect all the time. Its never good enough, and she wants to give up. Do I let her absolutely not. I tell her progress not perfection, and I will work with her on dance routines and all that. Im starting to wonder what this is. Is it something new like OCD or something? She has been seeing a psychiatrist for two years and has progressed wonderfully except for this! Being hard on yourself is one thing, but giving up because you cant do it is another. It can be good and bad. I struggle with homework as well because she cant do it perfectly. Its REDICULOUS! Let me know if you know if your daughter has any other issues. My DD also as a child didn't want to be touched or cuddled. She just wanted to  swing in her swing for hours. DId your DD do this?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Lol. It gets much worse at 13-15. I wanted to lock my oldest away during those years. Of course she was really easy until 9ish. This one is difficult now, so maybe, just maybe she'll be easy when she's older. Lol.

Quoting Rantin1raven:

My dd is just like that shes9 and its getting worse. Not to scare you. I give you props for changing your schedule and keeping her in it. Good mama. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)