Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stumped

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:31 PM
  • 19 Replies

I went to Toys R Us today and left with one thing.  My little guy is 7, but cognitively probably closer to preschool age, maybe K.  I feel like maybe he would like some of the toys like super hero (he loves Captain America) etc, but most of the toys don't really seem like something he could really comprehend or enjoy.  But, it seems like he is sort of outgrowing the Little People toys and such.  I am just stumped.  I am not sure what to get him.  He wanted a Lego Spongebob set for his Bday and I got it for him and he can't play with it without it breaking apart because of lack of motor control and then I have to put it back together, because he can't do that (they don't make Spongebob sets in Duplo, unfortunately)..  Outdoor toys seem like a waste right now because it's winter here.  He loves books and DVDs and he will get some, but already has SO many.  I am just seriously at a loss.  The one toy I got today was a Captain America action figure, which I think he'll really like.  I also got him a Come Home Snoopy DVD and plan to get him the Ice Age 4 DVD when it comes out next week.  Right now he is playing Silly Six Pins bowling, sitting 1 foot in front of it and throwing the ball at it, not rolling, but throwing, lol.  Help!

Oh, and family wants me to give them ideas for him!  

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM
What about the shield? Maybe a costume to role play? What about just getting some duplos even though they aren't characters. Maybe a simple remote control car? One that only has 1 big button to go forward and reverse? Does he like trains? Trying to think of what I've bought my nephews over the years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
willysmama
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Is he into transformers or spiderman or hulk or chuck and friends, or star wars? If he is there is a group of "action heros" that are made for little hands ages 3-7years old. Than are bulky enough for our kiddos to handle with NO small parts. My son doesnt have a whole lot of hand control but these are some of the toys he can do on his own and hold and play with them.

Ask his therapists for ideas for toys. I do when i am stumped. And i generally get a list of toys that i can find locally or online or on ebay for reasonable prices.

Bellum
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Leap frog has some really cool things, the Leapster pen is really cool, and my son still loves it after years of use.  You can add new books to it, and it iseducational.  I also look at Amazon lists of best selling toys for ideas, and you can adjust the age level.  We also will get books on CD,and he can listen to them on my old CD player.  Good luck!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs mama!  I honestly have no idea as we're at a loss for things for Brady too!  

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I second leapfrog. We got leap pads for our4 and 6 year olds. I figure they're a good investment because you can get more challenging games as they get older and they're all educational.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lisaslab
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Fisher-Price Imaginext DC Super Friends Green Lantern Planet OA

these are toys my 5 year old loves, if he is into the cars movie or toy story they have those sets too

natesmom1228
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Imaginext is great for kids of all ages. My son is 11 (mentally about 8 or 9) and he loves them. Playmobile is also wonderful.
jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Alex uses my iPad alot, so I don't know if the LeapFrog system would be very interesting for him, although I think the pen would be great because he needs to work on writing skills, but he may not be as excited about it as I am!  LOL.  Writing is difficult for him and he can be resistant about it sometimes.

We do have a couple of Imaginext sets (a Knight's Castle and a Pirate Ship) since I have an older son.  Alex plays with them some, but I think is a little limited in his imagination skills beyond more familiar/realistic things.  But, he might really enjoy one of the Super Hero sets.  I don't know why I didn't see any of those at Toys R Us yesterday.  Maybe because it was so crowded.  

I did also order a few of those apptivity Hot Wheels cars that you can safely race on the iPad, one for him and one for his brother.  So, I think he'll like those!  

Maybe some new bath toys too.  I saw a Jake and the Neverland Pirates set he might like. 

He also always likes new PJs, especially of they are a favorite character!

The dress up thing is a great idea, but since he was Captain America for Halloween, shield and all, we already have it and he does like to wear it around and play!  Maybe some other dress up toys would be a good idea, though!

jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Do you recall what brand the bulkier super hero ones are?  Maybe I could search amazon or toys r us.

Quoting willysmama:

Is he into transformers or spiderman or hulk or chuck and friends, or star wars? If he is there is a group of "action heros" that are made for little hands ages 3-7years old. Than are bulky enough for our kiddos to handle with NO small parts. My son doesnt have a whole lot of hand control but these are some of the toys he can do on his own and hold and play with them.

Ask his therapists for ideas for toys. I do when i am stumped. And i generally get a list of toys that i can find locally or online or on ebay for reasonable prices.

willysmama
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Quoting jjamom:

Do you recall what brand the bulkier super hero ones are?  Maybe I could search amazon or toys r us.

Quoting willysmama:

Playskool.  if you shop walmart they would be next to the chuck and friends toys.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)