Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

fresh 5 year old

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:54 PM
  • 13 Replies

My 5 year old special needs kid has been so fresh lately, not sure how to handle it anymore...He has digestive issues and possibly has high functioning Aspergers' & ADHD. The other day we were out & he stuck his tongue out at someone for no reason. The lady laughed but I was mortified! I told him that tomorrow he is going to appologize for that! (it's someone we see at school) So tonight I made a chart and told him if he gets 5 red checks for being fresh in one day he can't play with my ipad the next day. If he's good and isn't fresh that day then he gets whatever sticker he wants to pick. Any thoughts or advice for me? Thanks ladies!!

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sammygrl77
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:00 PM
I'm struggling with the same issue. One does things like saying mean things and the other tries hitting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karenl
by Karen on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Oh no, sorry to hear you're going through it too...my stomach is killing me every night because of his behavior.

Quoting sammygrl77:

I'm struggling with the same issue. One does things like saying mean things and the other tries hitting.

sammygrl77
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Chocolate helps. Lol.

Quoting karenl:

Oh no, sorry to hear you're going through it too...my stomach is killing me every night because of his behavior.

Quoting sammygrl77:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this
One thing my son's therapist suggested to me is to take away something for half a day instead of the whole day, that way there is a reason to be good an try to earn it back that day- because a day might as well be a year for them.

Also, I would suggest check marks for good behavior to EARN the iPad. Same idea, but focussing on the positive instead of the negative.

I hope that helps! *HUGS*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:58 AM

Fantastic ideas!  Totally agree here!

Quoting Elyssa414:

One thing my son's therapist suggested to me is to take away something for half a day instead of the whole day, that way there is a reason to be good an try to earn it back that day- because a day might as well be a year for them.

Also, I would suggest check marks for good behavior to EARN the iPad. Same idea, but focussing on the positive instead of the negative.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Lol aren't they all? My oldest is 6 and there is no difference between the way he treats an adult or another child. Drives me crazy when he mouths off to everybody. I like the chart idea for earning the iPad. Just try to stay consistent and eventually it'll improve.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CameronsMommy23
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM
My son is 7 and is already starting to have a smart mouth!! Lol He was just diagnosed with ADHD this August so we're trying to adjust and learn new ways to redirect him. It's frustrating at times!

And I like Elyssa's idea of earning iPad time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Wonderful advice! Good luck!

Quoting Elyssa414:

karenl
by Karen on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Thank you that's a great idea!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Fantastic ideas!  Totally agree here!

Quoting Elyssa414:

trio8707
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I think it comes with the age... I have 3 5-year-old's and they all have their moments.  It's never ending.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN