Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

The Ugly Side Autism.... Devastated, I need support!

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:10 PM
  • 42 Replies
So, I haven't been posting much. It's been crazy...

November 13 was Trents first incident at school. He threatened another student. He was sent home. The next day was the first outburst. He threw scissors and caused his classroom to be evacuated. 45 days he was fine. I can say right now that absolutely nothing changed. No schedule. No new kids in class. I haven't even changed soaps and detergents.

Two weeks ago things got even worse. He started to strike adults and become a danger. I sought help from an intensive outpatient program through The Joshua Center. It's been a week there and he's been suspended twice from the program. His day runs 8-1 school and then the Center takes him till 5-6p.

Today I was called to the school when they had to call EMS. Emergency Medical Services. His outburst was bad and he had 2 at school. It was suggested we let him finish the day at school, 1 hr, and then he could get the help from the center.

I got a call shortly after he got there that he grabbed a pencil and tried to stab a clinician. I was told if he outbursts again they will be forced to call 911. About 45 min later I got that call.

The police had arrived and they were awaiting an ambulance for transport.

He was brought to the ER at Connecticut Childrens Medical Center in Hartford, CT.

There are 16, yes 16, psychiatric patients ahead of him. One clinician on at 10pm. So he's being held in a holding room under constant supervision until he can be seen.

I'm home now. It was asked that I leave. Plus my youngest is I'll with severe double ear infections.

But I'm so torn. He's not being committed yet. Although I may push that he should be tomorrow. I can't wait for the day he severely hurts himself or worse someone else!

I'm being told by everyone that unfortunantely this is one of the uglier sides of autism.

Friday was supposed to be his final PPT where we were going to push for a clinical school instead of main stream.

I'm just lost. My head hurts. I want to scream and cry. I'm so frustrated.

Please... Anyone been here before?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Oh mama!  My heart goes out to you right now...how old is your son?  I can't imagine what you're going through right now, but you sound SO strong and on top of things!  You want the best for your child and you're doing just that.  Big hugs and I'm thinking about you!

DeirdraG.
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:30 AM
He's only 6!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Oh mama!  My heart goes out to you right now...how old is your son?  I can't imagine what you're going through right now, but you sound SO strong and on top of things!  You want the best for your child and you're doing just that.  Big hugs and I'm thinking about you!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Wow!  Is he in any types of therapy?  What do his therapists say?

Quoting DeirdraG.:

He's only 6!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

AMDS0304
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:36 AM
I'm so sorry. I don't really have any advice because I haven't ever dealt with a child with autism. I'm assuming the center he goes to is suppose to help him? Have you tried looking into other resources or some kind of other therapy that would help him??

I really have no clue what other services or treatment he gets? I think their is a group on here for autism as well.
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:13 AM
Oh my gosh! 6?! And they asked you to leave?? I'm so sorry mama :(. How severe is his autism? Is he verbal?

Quoting DeirdraG.:

He's only 6!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:25 AM

I'm so sorry!  I can't imagine having to leave my 6 year old like that.  I can't imagine what you are going through all around.  I'm sorry, I have no advice, but just wanted to give my support and will put you and your son in my prayers.  You are doing what is right.  I hope they can help get him whatever he needs so he can come back home and go back to school safely for everyone concerned.  Hugs, Momma!

DeirdraG.
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:21 AM
The Joshua Center is therapy. And they are Thr ones who called 911. So even they think he's out of control.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Wow!  Is he in any types of therapy?  What do his therapists say?

Quoting DeirdraG.:

He's only 6!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

DeirdraG.
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Hes very verbal. Even during his outbursts he's saying please and thank you.

I didn't think he autism was this severe about 2 months ago. But he's also on ADHD medication. He is ADHD as well.

And yes. They need to see his outbursts. Which are less rare when I'm around. He can 4 a day between school and therapy. But one MINOR one with me. I only saw the severe ones over the summer. And even then, he only tried to hurt me once. He's now trying to hurt himself or others DAILY.

I also have 3 younger kids. My daughter has a feeding team appt today and I've been waiting since July. My youngest is ill. And my other boy needs to get to school. Unfortunately, I can only do so much. :( trust me though. Guilt is killing me.

Quoting arkansasmama08:

Oh my gosh! 6?! And they asked you to leave?? I'm so sorry mama :(. How severe is his autism? Is he verbal?

Quoting DeirdraG.:

He's only 6!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

DeirdraG.
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Your last sentence terrifyies me. Not cause you said it. But it's true.

What if he can't come home?!??

Quoting jjamom:

I'm so sorry!  I can't imagine having to leave my 6 year old like that.  I can't imagine what you are going through all around.  I'm sorry, I have no advice, but just wanted to give my support and will put you and your son in my prayers.  You are doing what is right.  I hope they can help get him whatever he needs so he can come back home and go back to school safely for everyone concerned.  Hugs, Momma!

DeirdraG.
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:29 AM
This therapy place is already a partial hospitalization program.

This was the next step.

:(

I'll know more details later.

Quoting AMDS0304:

I'm so sorry. I don't really have any advice because I haven't ever dealt with a child with autism. I'm assuming the center he goes to is suppose to help him? Have you tried looking into other resources or some kind of other therapy that would help him??

I really have no clue what other services or treatment he gets? I think their is a group on here for autism as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)