Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Out in public :-(

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:14 AM
  • 21 Replies

My son has to wear a mask most of the time in public, we have a hard time with other people starring or taking their kids away from where we are, they act as if he is contagious or a mutant... we give out business cards that explain the disease but it really upsets me and him... what should I do?

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyIn2008
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM
I hate that people are so quickly to judge. Im not sure what you could do to make it any better because so many people are so close minded when it comes to any special needs child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:58 AM
What does he have?
Unfortunately, I don't think there's much else you can do :(. Our society these days has very little tolerance for anything different. I guess maybe just try to teach your son why people act that way and that just because someone's different, doesn't mean they should be avoided. You can't change others but you can use it as a teaching moment for your son.
I'm sorry :(. I'm sure it's got to be hard on both of you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CameronsMommy23
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd politely announce that he isn't contagious and that the mask is for his protection. Adults especially should know better. Don't let people make you visibly upset & just ignore them and maybe eventually he will be able to the same.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I'm so sorry. I would tell them to mind their own busniess, but then again I'm not good with being nice.

karenl
by Karen on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I think I would tell them to mind their own business or just totally ignore them. You can always tell them he's playing dress up too. (((hugs)))

jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I agree here.

Hugs to you, I know it must be so annoying!

Quoting CameronsMommy23:

I'd politely announce that he isn't contagious and that the mask is for his protection. Adults especially should know better. Don't let people make you visibly upset & just ignore them and maybe eventually he will be able to the same.

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM
2 moms liked this
I think the best thing you can do is put on your biggest superhero shield and cape when you are out, and show him that it doesn't effect you! Smile big, talk to him about how people's behavior is a reflection on THEM, not on him, and cry later when you're alone. :(

*HUGS*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM
I agree with all the ladies above. (((Hugs)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree here.  I thought about doing cards for my son as people constantly stare and I know they want to ask, "What is wrong with him?", but they don't.  But then again, if I gave them cards, it would open up another can of worms...people aren't worth my time, and I don't have to explain my child to anyone.

Quoting MommyIn2008:

I hate that people are so quickly to judge. Im not sure what you could do to make it any better because so many people are so close minded when it comes to any special needs child.

mastobaby
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM

He has a myleoproliferative neoplasm disease called systemic mastocytosis. It is a slow growing blood cancer disease that causes the inability to have a normal life like playing in the sun, playing in snow, having coffee or hot chocolate, going outside at all during spring and summer... much much more. There is no cure and no real treatment and it is concidered a orphan disease.

(from cancer.net)

Systemic mastocytosis

Systemic mastocytosis involves internal organs throughout the body, including the gastrointestinal tract, bone marrow, liver, spleen, and lymph nodes. In 85% of people with systemic mastocytosis, the cutaneous mastocytosis subtype of urticaria pigmentosa developed first. The risk of developing systemic mastocytosis increases with age. Depending on the number of mast cells in an organ, it is classified as either indolent (grows slowly) or aggressive (grows quickly) mastocytosis. As the number of mast cells build up in an organ, the symptoms of the disease worsen.

Systemic mastocytosis can become malignant (cancerous). The risk of systemic mastocytosis becoming cancerous is 7% when the disease begins in childhood and as much as 30% in adults. Mast cell leukemia involves the blood, while mast cell sarcoma involves the soft tissues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)