Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Funding for home modification

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:40 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hello everyone,

i wanted to know if anyone has ever secured a grant for home modification. My granddaughter is getting older and bigger. We live in a two story home with bedrooms upstairs. It's getting increasingly difficult to bring her down safely. 

I live in New York State.

Thank you in advance for your help.

LizP

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no clue, but here's a bump!

trio8707
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

We received partial funding from Blake and Olivia's fund.  Almost 3 years ago, DH and I bought land and designed our home and then the contractors built it from scratch.  We designed it completely accessible to Blake and Olivia to fit their needs as they grow (they are only 5 now).  We received funding from their trust for anything that was related to their needs (down to the floorboards, walls, nails, etc. needed for their bedroom and bathroom). If it wasn't being put into the house specifically for them, the trust did not cover it.  Contact the insurance (or trust if she has one) company to see what they would cover or recommend.  Also find a contractor that has done handicap accessible homes so that they are also knowledgable in the process.  It took a little over a year to build our home.  We've been in it for almost a year now and could not be happier!

i.heart.myboys
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no clue. I do know here in Ohio I go through our county and they have something that we are able to make home modications and they were reimburse us for a certain percent or amount 4 times a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:42 PM
That is truly wonderful that you were able to do that!!

Quoting trio8707:

We received partial funding from Blake and Olivia's fund.  Almost 3 years ago, DH and I bought land and designed our home and then the contractors built it from scratch.  We designed it completely accessible to Blake and Olivia to fit their needs as they grow (they are only 5 now).  We received funding from their trust for anything that was related to their needs (down to the floorboards, walls, nails, etc. needed for their bedroom and bathroom). If it wasn't being put into the house specifically for them, the trust did not cover it.  Contact the insurance (or trust if she has one) company to see what they would cover or recommend.  Also find a contractor that has done handicap accessible homes so that they are also knowledgable in the process.  It took a little over a year to build our home.  We've been in it for almost a year now and could not be happier!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lisp63
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Thank you trio8707, I didn't think about getting a contractor who is knowledgeable in handicap accessible. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:04 AM

Good luck mama!  

TommyAbby
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Yes!! We did.. and we live in NYS.

Each family is alloted $3K for home modification. You have her service coordinator get the paperwork going through the DDSO.  It didn't take long at all. I think 3 weeks before we got the approval, then we had a few contractors come by to give estimates and they picked the cheapest one. 

It was a pretty easy process. The paperwork needed the doctors sig on the reason as to why we needed the modification. 

lifeisajoy
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

We have --we also got a contractor knowledgable in handicap -has ADA certification is what they call it in PA-

We have one guy we work with particulary--we have receive funding from the Office of Developmental Disabilities through our County-we paid some and they paid a lot

This is what we have gotten done- a ramp-we paid $750 and they paid the rest

We have gotten bathroom modifications-bars put in and taken out glass door and county paid for that

We have gotten a sleep safe bed --Wonderful County and insurance paid for that

We have gotten an accessible van-County Paid for the ramp (10,000) and we paid for the van-  

Right now we are working on getting a hoyer lift thing that is on the ceiling-the tracks that goes throughout our house-the Rehab doctor recommended it--She is contacting the insurance company and our county-that is still in the beginning stages--I talked to our insurance compnay yesterday and they told me if they get a Medical Necessity Letter from our doctor --which she is doing -then we can get that done-So I am Hopeful!

Wish you the best on getting what you need!

natesmom1228
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I don't know I am sorry.

Lisp63
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Thanks;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)