Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Update with Adderall XR -- repetitive behaviors? (PIOG)

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM
  • 3 Replies

My son is 4 yrs old.

Okay, with Ritalin and Focalin, his attention was much better but he became very aggressive and his behavior at school worsened. And he had major social anxioty, being worried and scarred to be around other children.

We've just tried Adderall and his behavior at school was so much better! Attention better! Yay! I think we've found it BUT according to his teacher:

Quote:

"However, he was very withdrawn and uncommunicative for much of the day. During circle time when I called his name for his turn at the Smart Board, he did not respond. I had to call his name 4 times and come over to him until he recognized I was speaking to him. Typically, this is something he looks forward to and eagerly awaits his turn. I have never had to repeat calling his name at this time, so this was a marked difference. He also spent a good part of the day reciting (what I think is) scripts from tv shows."

Anybody have any experience with increased repetitive behaviors from stimulants?

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!  I don't have experience with this but I know other ladies might:)  Hugs and good luck!

lifeisajoy
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I hope it works out!!  

jvalenze
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM

My 16 year old daughter is on Adderall she also has a better attention span,but once in awhile her mind goes to thinking about something else(really concentrating) that she does not hear anyone,I am glad Adderall is helping his behavior.My daughter when they first put her on Adderall she was doing good a year later shcool work is good but the behavior is back to the point of calling cops,I asked the dr,(because the cops said she may need an increase in meds)about the increase he said she was at the highest dose and Adderall was just to make them concentrate not for behavior.So maybe he was just thinking about something he had seen that interested him enough to remember which means he is concentrating .

Then when my niece was young she has bipolar and was on meds she would just sit and do nothing no fighting,no talking like she was zoned out all the time,the drs found the dose was to high so they lowered it she seem to do well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN