Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

I can't even figure out the words!

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:08 AM
  • 25 Replies
So my wedding is Friday and I still hadn't found a shoe Allie liked. We went to the shoe store and it started out pretty good. She was singing Rudolph the red nose T-Rex and just over all being good. We found a pair that she said she liked so we got her size. I took her boot off and the lady grabs a pantyhose and hands it to me. I told her, "No thank you. That will make her meltdown." Her response was, "We'll if you stopped spoiling her and actually disciplined her it wouldn't be a problem."

I stood up and said I wanted to talk to her supervisor. I explained what happened and then went on to explain that my dd has Aspergers and SPD. I told her that she really can't do the pantyhose or socks. It's the actual socks for her not the seems. Anyway she told me, "I'm sorry she has a disorder but she has to learn she can't use that as an excuse. She's learning that from you. She has to wear the hose."

They have a return policy that as long as they appear unworn and there is a receipt. They will take them back with in 30 days. I told her fine. I bought the shoes, walked outside tried them on her and took them back in saying I needed to exchange them. If they weren't the only shoe so far I wouldn't have bought them. I emailed the company complaining about this treatment. I understand why they want you to use the pantyhose, but seriously...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
divinedimension
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:10 AM

WOW. I'm so sorry! Was it a popular shoe store? Or family owned?

Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:12 AM
It was a popular corporate chain. I'm hoping that the corporate office will fix this. I hate to know who else has gotten horrible treatment there.

Quoting divinedimension:

WOW. I'm so sorry! Was it a popular shoe store? Or family owned?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:17 AM
I'm so sorry. That was very disrespectful of them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyIn2008
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:22 AM
My son is the exact same way he also has spd and autism when i buy something for him I just pray it fits.

So sorry that you had to deal with this some people are just so ignorant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
divinedimension
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 3:31 AM

If it had been me I'd have had a hard time not getting very upset in front of them. Good for you for using your head, staying calm and finding a way to still get what you needed! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:12 AM

Wow!  I'm amazed at this!  How rude!

sammygrl77
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:23 AM
That is terrible!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
If I get upset Allie gets upset and that's the last thing I needed at that point. I've learned to bite my tongue and count to 10 till I can talk without getting mad

Quoting divinedimension:

If it had been me I'd have had a hard time not getting very upset in front of them. Good for you for using your head, staying calm and finding a way to still get what you needed! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myfirstborn04
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this
you did awesome! I hope the company does something about this. I understand the health reason for them wanting you to use stockings and I'm sure if they cared the would have had some otgerotions available like what about sanitizing wiped or purell! I'm sure if they would have worked with you things could have turned out better. shame on them !!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM
I even offered to take her to the bathroom and wash her feet

Quoting myfirstborn04:

you did awesome! I hope the company does something about this. I understand the health reason for them wanting you to use stockings and I'm sure if they cared the would have had some otgerotions available like what about sanitizing wiped or purell! I'm sure if they would have worked with you things could have turned out better. shame on them !!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)