Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

I can't even figure out the words!

Posted by   + Show Post
So my wedding is Friday and I still hadn't found a shoe Allie liked. We went to the shoe store and it started out pretty good. She was singing Rudolph the red nose T-Rex and just over all being good. We found a pair that she said she liked so we got her size. I took her boot off and the lady grabs a pantyhose and hands it to me. I told her, "No thank you. That will make her meltdown." Her response was, "We'll if you stopped spoiling her and actually disciplined her it wouldn't be a problem."

I stood up and said I wanted to talk to her supervisor. I explained what happened and then went on to explain that my dd has Aspergers and SPD. I told her that she really can't do the pantyhose or socks. It's the actual socks for her not the seems. Anyway she told me, "I'm sorry she has a disorder but she has to learn she can't use that as an excuse. She's learning that from you. She has to wear the hose."

They have a return policy that as long as they appear unworn and there is a receipt. They will take them back with in 30 days. I told her fine. I bought the shoes, walked outside tried them on her and took them back in saying I needed to exchange them. If they weren't the only shoe so far I wouldn't have bought them. I emailed the company complaining about this treatment. I understand why they want you to use the pantyhose, but seriously...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:08 AM
Replies (11-20):
jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:44 AM

That is really so intolerant.  I would definitely contact their corporate office.  I am sure they offer sensitivity training as part of their management training.  If not, they obviously need to.  

myfirstborn04
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM
wow, you see they couldn't even work with you. I wonder how they treat a person in a wheelchair. Do they say oh you can walk your just being lazy. no matter the disability or health condition. everyone deserve to be treated right.

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

I even offered to take her to the bathroom and wash her feet

Quoting myfirstborn04:

you did awesome! I hope the company does something about this. I understand the health reason for them wanting you to use stockings and I'm sure if they cared the would have had some otgerotions available like what about sanitizing wiped or purell! I'm sure if they would have worked with you things could have turned out better. shame on them !!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Seriously, at that point I would have told them not so kindly where to stick their shoes and left.  

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

Quoting myfirstborn04:

you did awesome! I hope the company does something about this. I understand the health reason for them wanting you to use stockings and I'm sure if they cared the would have had some otgerotions available like what about sanitizing wiped or purell! I'm sure if they would have worked with you things could have turned out better. shame on them !!!!

Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM
If it wasn't the last place that had shoes, I would have. My dd couldn't handle any of the others!

Quoting jjamom:

Seriously, at that point I would have told them not so kindly where to stick their shoes and left.  

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

Quoting myfirstborn04:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeisajoy
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

There is no reason they should treat you that way-that is super unprofessional and they should be fired

jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I get that.  I had the hardest time finding shoes for my DD that didnt have 5 inch heels, but were rhe right style, for a wedding she was in.  I might have just bought them too out of desperation.  But it really stinks to have to give anyone like that your business when they clearly don't deserve it!

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

If it wasn't the last place that had shoes, I would have. My dd couldn't handle any of the others!

Quoting jjamom:

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

Quoting myfirstborn04:

gma12.1
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I am glad you were able to remain calm, find a solution, then once you got home take action. I haven't had a situation like yours with Lina and hope that I never do. If it were to happen I hope that I could remain calm like you did.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I am so sorry that you had to deal with that. People sometimes suck! 

I swear, sometimes i think life would be easier of my son ( child with HFA, aspie and spd)  were purple. Then people would see that and say... Oh, he's purple... Lets be more understanding and tolerant!  But no, our kids look typical, and can even act typical 7-10 times.. (sometimes less) and then people just think they are brats! It drives me bonkers! walk in our shoes (sorry, no pun intended) and tell me they are just brats?! 

Hugs! Way to go for keeping your cool! I too would contact the store manager. Then the district manager if necessary. I would want to know that this person was not going to treat someone else as poorly as you and your daughter were. 

Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:49 AM
I got an email back apologizing and they said they would be calling me tomorrow to correct the matter...

Quoting SamMom912:

I am so sorry that you had to deal with that. People sometimes suck! 

I swear, sometimes i think life would be easier of my son ( child with HFA, aspie and spd)  were purple. Then people would see that and say... Oh, he's purple... Lets be more understanding and tolerant!  But no, our kids look typical, and can even act typical 7-10 times.. (sometimes less) and then people just think they are brats! It drives me bonkers! walk in our shoes (sorry, no pun intended) and tell me they are just brats?! 

Hugs! Way to go for keeping your cool! I too would contact the store manager. Then the district manager if necessary. I would want to know that this person was not going to treat someone else as poorly as you and your daughter were. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FoxxyMama1
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I think that is horrible and you should post your experience on their facebook page - that'll get their attention!

As far as finding shoes- how about a pair of ballet slippers?  What kind of shoes does she normally tolerate?  Can you get a new pair and maybe decorate the outside yourself?  Is going barefoot an option?  I mean, it's your wedding so why not have her comfortable? 

Congrats on getting married and try to not stress too much Mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)