Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

at what age..

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:56 AM
  • 14 Replies
Did your special needs child eat solids or pick up there own food. Wean off the bottle. what age they communicated back in anyway. What age did they walk or sit up good.
Just wondering my son is 1year and some weeks and can't do any of these things. I'm having a rough morning with him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marti123
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Sorry, for your morning, I am sure there is a wide variation on meeting milestones, they are all so different. My son's sensory aversion to foods really improved by 18 months or so. He started walking immediately after an eye surgery at 14 months

i.heart.myboys
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:03 AM

My son will never be able to eat by mouth most likely. I'm sorry I wasn't able to help!

JenaSmith
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Quoting i.heart.myboys:

My son will never be able to eat by mouth most likely. I'm sorry I wasn't able to help!

Thats ok thanks for being honest. I want all types of answers. Im just trying to find out what kind of future im looking at with my son.

JenaSmith
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Quoting Marti123:

Sorry, for your morning, I am sure there is a wide variation on meeting milestones, they are all so different. My son's sensory aversion to foods really improved by 18 months or so. He started walking immediately after an eye surgery at 14 months

Thats great! what kind of sensory issues did he have. My son hates thick textures and food has to be cold with pears, applesauce, or green beans. He can eat puffs if i put one in his mouth but wont swallow it. 

trio8707
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Hmm...

Blake- ate solids around 2, he still cannot pick up his food or feed himself and probably never will.  Bottle was also stopped around 2 years old.  As far as the walking and talking, he has severe cerebral palsy.  Within the past year/year and a half he starting answering yes or no questions.  He will never be able to walk or sit up unassisted. He's 5 now

Olivia- also has severe CP, worse than Blake.  She cannot eat solids at all, we puree her food.  She does not really communicate other than turning away when she doesnt like something.  She can't walk or sit unassisted either.  She's also 5 (they are triplets).

Hayden- she has no special needs other than delayed milestones due to the fact that she was 17 weeks premature.  Eating solids around 1, talking around 18mths/2years, she started sitting right before her 1st birthday, walking around 17/18months.   Her delays were however in normal range due to how premature she was.

PumpkinSpice8
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Dd has CP.

I kept her on the bottle until about 2, maybe close to three years. She started eating solids around 2 but the bottle was the best way to make sure she was fed enough as she ate only little bits of solids.

She started really being able to eat on her own in the last few years. So it took about five- six years until she learned to control her fine motor movements without making a gigantic mess. She still drinks out of a tippy since her hands are still not completely controlled and she will spill otherwise.

She never learned to walk. She's in a wheelchair. She was probably around 4 years when she could sit up solo and not until a couple years ago could I leave her alone in a chair. Even though she could sit up she was shaky and would fall easily.
Dd has always been social. She's always responded and communicated. She can only say the first few syllables of words but most people can understand her requests that around her daily. Otherwise gestures and a communication device are what she uses to talk to people who aren't use to her special language.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Brady is 4 years old, and just started to eat baby food about 4 months ago.  He was on a bottle until the age of 2 years old.  He makes noises, but doesn't talk yet.  He sat up by 9 months old, crawled at 15 months old, and walked at 3 years old.  I know it's hard mama, but you can't compare to other children...they are all different and that's a tough thing to remember!  Hugs!

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Elijah was eating finger foods before the seizures started, then he went back to just formula from a bottle. Around 2 years old he started solids again (cereal with baby food and finger foods) he could feed himself by age 4-5.

He could sit/ walk/run/ climb on furniture before the seizures took that all away too. He re-learned to walk the second time around age 2+, and running unsteadily and getting on and off the couch by himself by age 5, skipping at age 9 :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Like Darby said, it varies SO wildly, even among kids with the same diagnoses- I know kids with West Syndrome that will never walk and kids with it that never had any physical regression...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Christopher was 1.5 -2 years before he could eat baby food. And that was with speech and feeding therapy twice a week. He still can't feed himself, walk, or sit up at 5 years old. Some we are working on, like sitting and walking. Feeding himself is no longer a goal, but we might try again in the future. He comminicates great, sometimes too great. I think he was around 2 1/2 when his speech took off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN