• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not so sure I belong here. Anybody else have a crazy smart kid?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

I mean, my little guy has special needs.  He has sensory processing disorder, impulse control disorder, and anxiety disorder.  He can be very difficult to handle and has huge meltdowns.  But he is SO darn smart!  Does anybody else have an intelligent child?  So intelligent they have a hard time getting them help?

If you have a hard time reading about intelligent children please stop here

My son's IEP was today.  I requested the IEP because I was concerned about his sensory problems and his insurance wasn't covering anything.  I was told getting an evaluation through the school would be a good first step.  I had been told by a few doctors he needed speech as well.  Then he has these terrible meltdowns on top of that.  The school decided to do all of the testing they could.  No questions asked and it was not what I was expecting at all.  But I was willing to go along with it.

Ok so at his IEP I found out that he is testing WAY above a kindergarten level.  They all agreed he is the smartest kindergartener they have ever worked with.  His overall speech evaluation (with the syntax, vocabulary, etc) put him above the 99th percentile!  Everywhere else academically he was superior (91st-97th percentile) or very superior (98th percentile).  There's talk of him graduating from that school (knd-12th) by the age of 12.  They were shocked because he didn't have one strong area he was consistantly strong in everything.

He does have sensory processing disorder and it's pretty extreme.  Thankfully we now have an OT who is going to help him (not through the school because he doesn't qualify but insurance finally approved and out of network referral).  Now the professionals who evaluated him (his mentor teacher, academic case manager, school psychologist, and speech pathologist) have all agreed that although he does not qualify for an IEP he is a special case.    They will all be available to me.  If I feel something has changed or we need help I can call a meeting of everybody.  They want to make sure he is challenged.  We will be forming an action plan with the OT to give to his workshop teachers (this is a charter homeschool program) outlining his needs and what they can do to help him succeed in their class.  I also have permission to move him up an age group in workshops.  So instead of being in knd-3rd hands on science he will be moved to 4th-6th.  He is so excited because their class is longer and more in depth!

Then they went on and on about what a great mom and I am how I've done the research and try everything to help him.  I needed that ego boost because he is a tough kid!  But now I have this whole team supporting me and willing to do anything to make it work even though they could have easily said "he doesn't qualify sorry" and sent us on our way.

What an awesome place to be :)

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this
That is wonderful!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
myfirstborn04
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM
that's super cool!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GatorLady0307
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I also have a very advanced 9 year old...and a developmentally delayed 5 year old...I don't know what "normal" is persay with children and learning...just be careful about him being emotionally ready to go into other grades etc. because this is what my oldest son's teacher...although they are academically above everyone else in the class, they are still 9 emotionally, mentally, and physically.  They have added in extra classes for my son when he gets done with what the rest of the class is doing so he doesn't get bored!  

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM
yes he is homeschooled so the workshops I will be in with him. there are other siblings his age hanging out in the workshops as well. and science is only 1.5 hours 1 day a week.

Quoting GatorLady0307:

I also have a very advanced 9 year old...and a developmentally delayed 5 year old...I don't know what "normal" is persay with children and learning...just be careful about him being emotionally ready to go into other grades etc. because this is what my oldest son's teacher...although they are academically above everyone else in the class, they are still 9 emotionally, mentally, and physically.  They have added in extra classes for my son when he gets done with what the rest of the class is doing so he doesn't get bored!  

Xandriasmommy
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:58 PM
That's amazing that things are starting to work right!

Allie is crazy smart. She used quadranium not long ago. I had to look it up!! I do think she gets it naturally though...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:44 PM
I'm glad thing are working out. My child who is 3 years old Isnt sn and let me tell you he's bright. He's already advance and was doing full sentences at 18 months. It was crazy. Anyways but then i have my sn child who is very delayed. I have both ends of the spectrum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:51 AM

That is fantastic mama!

sammygrl77
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:06 AM
That is wonderful!

My youngest is very bright and has spd and suspected anxiety. The school has been really good about making sure she has support with social issues, but yes it is harder for her to get support because she is so intelligent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Awesome!

No, I have an average typical kiddo, and a delayed to average SN kiddo.
letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM

sure you belong here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)