Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Takes forever to chew!!

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:26 AM
  • 17 Replies
Maggie takes forever to eat. I know, I should just be more patient. But when it takes her an hour to eat a meal and she throws a fit if she doesn't get to finish, it's frustrating. When we have a therapy schedule and have to be places almost every day, it's hard. Could this be part of her spd? I know she does have oral sensation problems, and often bites her tongue or cheek. And how do I deal with it either way? Anybody else have this problem?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeisajoy
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Hugs-my son has the opposite issue eats too fast-I still try-I say try to give him time to slow down-I wake him up two hours before school-yes early every day --to show him to take his time to eat-hugs mom on this issue-

Is there certain foods she eats better -like yogurt or something-maybe on the rush days give those textured foods she eats faster and when you have time give her the other foods-

Hugs and take care

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Not really. She has a lot of food sensitives so we're in an elimination diet to pinpoint right now. No dairy, eggs, grains, sugar, etc. She does pretty good with fruit, but, again we're extremely limited by her allergies.
lifeisajoy
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

sorry to hear that-that is hard-maybe fruit in the morning if in the rush then?  

Quoting arkansasmama08:

Not really. She has a lot of food sensitives so we're in an elimination diet to pinpoint right now. No dairy, eggs, grains, sugar, etc. She does pretty good with fruit, but, again we're extremely limited by her allergies.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Might be the only way we'll be able to get anywhere in time lol. I'm just wondering if its a sensory issue if there's anything we can do to improve it
willysmama
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

My son use to take and hour and half to eat a meal. But over the years its down to 1/2 hr to 45 mins depending on how hungry he is.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM

That seems typical for kids with oral issues and sensory issues.  What do your child's therapists say about it?  Do they have any ideas for you?  How old is she?  My son is 4 years old but at the mentaiity of a 10-12 month old...he is now eating baby food and takes almost 30 minutes at times to eat one meal...he eats small amounts at each meal but eats every 2-3 hours!  It takes a while and seems like I'm always feeding the kid!  LOL!

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM
She's 4.5. Her therapists haven't addressed it yet.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

That seems typical for kids with oral issues and sensory issues.  What do your child's therapists say about it?  Do they have any ideas for you?  How old is she?  My son is 4 years old but at the mentaiity of a 10-12 month old...he is now eating baby food and takes almost 30 minutes at times to eat one meal...he eats small amounts at each meal but eats every 2-3 hours!  It takes a while and seems like I'm always feeding the kid!  LOL!

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM

yes , it can be sensory related , maybe a teeth issue also , reflux , ? , does she see a speech and language pathologist-they will help with these issues.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:48 PM
No :( she didn't qualify for speech. I'll ask her ot about it next week. Maybe they'll have some ideas. I don't mean to be impatient, but I can't sit and wait all day either

Quoting letstalk747:

yes , it can be sensory related , maybe a teeth issue also , reflux , ? , does she see a speech and language pathologist-they will help with these issues.

jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM
My son's feeding used to take a long time as well. He went to a feeding clinic and they told me to limit it to 30 mins, even if we had to squeeze another feeding in. The feedings used to be very intense, refusal, crying, etc and they didn't want him or me to get burned out on frustration.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)