Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autistic Child Masturbating?SORRY = TMI but need help.

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

My son is seven, I just noticed a few weeks ago that he would rub his pamper in a manner that I thought he was playing with himself. It started to happen more frequent. So I would tell him he couldn't do that infront of anyone.. he would have to go to his room. So when I would catch him doing that, he'd be sent to his room in private.He does it in the bathroom for his scheduled potty breaks and sometimes when there is company.
I took him to the doctor because I noticed the tip of his penis started looking discolored. 
The doctor tells me he has blood vessel damage from "pinching" it during his play.
NOW WHAT?
I don't want him to feel bad about doing it... but he's hurting himself unknowingly and that scares me. He's only seven and very aggressive at times. He is hot and cold. He can go from extremely passive to throwing a tantrum (only with ME) 
I don't want sexual issues to happen for him in the future. Should I not worry about it so much for his age? Should I try to talk with his doctor about a solution? He hasn't been on medication and I don't want to drug him when he really isn't bad. He isn't verbal so his tantrums are a result of frustration due to the lack of communication.
Anyone have any ideas?

ANY ridiculous comments will simply be ignored. :) Thank you.
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Joy on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM

tough one for sure ,  i would say ask DR what  can help , hopefully he stops this and changes how he does this to where he  wont  hurt himself some how- ask the DR to tell him how to do it differently so he dont hurt himself- know what i mean

jyofray
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:19 PM
He doesn't seem to understand a lot of what is being said to him. So it's going to be difficult. I am going to call ( the doc) again tomorrow... hopefully he will have something to offer.
Thanks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CameronsMommy23
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with Joy, maybe the Dr can help you figure out what to say to him. Maybe you could look up some reference books on parenting autistic children as well. I'm at a loss for other ideas. Hang in there!
levsenmommy
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Your son sounds a lot like my own 7 year old.  My son is nonverbal and a lot of times he either has his hand down his pants or pulls the front of his pull up down and has his penis hanging out.  We also tell him and redirect him to his room to try to show him that is the appropriate place to do that.  We know it is natural so instead of trying to "fight" against it, we are trying to show him there are appropriate times and places for that exploration.

Unfortunately, my son is developmentally between 4-22 months old (depending on the area), so trying to explain to him in a way he understands is difficult.  I'm hopeful that being consistent will help him make the connection and he will start going to his room on his own.

I don't have any suggestions, just wanted to comment since you and your son sound similar to me and my son.  Good luck!

jyofray
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM
I don't know how bad he is but I know my two year old is more advanced at the moment. It is difficult to put things in such a way he knows..or may get it. I am just so worried since there already is some damage. ( sigh ) it breaks my heart.

Quoting levsenmommy:

Your son sounds a lot like my own 7 year old.  My son is nonverbal and a lot of times he either has his hand down his pants or pulls the front of his pull up down and has his penis hanging out.  We also tell him and redirect him to his room to try to show him that is the appropriate place to do that.  We know it is natural so instead of trying to "fight" against it, we are trying to show him there are appropriate times and places for that exploration.

Unfortunately, my son is developmentally between 4-22 months old (depending on the area), so trying to explain to him in a way he understands is difficult.  I'm hopeful that being consistent will help him make the connection and he will start going to his room on his own.

I don't have any suggestions, just wanted to comment since you and your son sound similar to me and my son.  Good luck!

SLJoJo27
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

My 6 1/2 year old constantly has his hands down his pants!! He's been told not to touch himself unless his is in private (his room, bathroom) He has even repeated it back to me and when he gets 'caught" he says oh yeah thats only for the bathroom or my bedroom but alas he still stays with his hands in his pants. His daddy did have a talk with him yesterday about it and he hasn't been doing it as much as usual today but in a few days when he forgets the onversation he'll probably back to it.  *sigh* 

I don't have any suggestions for you though. But wanted to let you know you're not alone and to tell you good luck!

willysmama
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM

My son does this every once and a while. Especially if the diaper is bothering him or he is itchy down there. We have had to change his diaper to another brand and he doesnt do it that much anymore

levsenmommy
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I have a 3 year old who has long passed up his older brother's developmental level.  It is hard when I can reason and explain to my 3 year old what my 7 year old doesn't seem to be able to understand.

I would be concerned with him hurting himself also.  My son grabs the skin of his penis and will pull on it.  It looks painful, even makes my husband cringe, but my son's pain tolerance is so high, I'm sure it is a different sensation to him.  He had himself raw at one point and some how got out of the phase and moved on to other behaviors.  My son tends to have things happen in waves so we try to ride them out whenever possible and hope for the end of the phase to come sooner than later.

Quoting jyofray:

I don't know how bad he is but I know my two year old is more advanced at the moment. It is difficult to put things in such a way he knows..or may get it. I am just so worried since there already is some damage. ( sigh ) it breaks my heart.

Quoting levsenmommy:

jyofray
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM
That's what I thought too. I wish it was the issue

Quoting willysmama:

My son does this every once and a while. Especially if the diaper is bothering him or he is itchy down there. We have had to change his diaper to another brand and he doesnt do it that much anymore

jyofray
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM
The doctor did mention medication but i don't understand what medication would help with that issue. I don't want him zoned out. I don't feel drugging him is right.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)