Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

downs, potty training

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM
  • 14 Replies
can Anyone on here with downs kids tell me when they started potty training?? My son is 4, and he has no interest..... But I'm so tired of him pooping in the bath, he does it every time!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
willysmama
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:24 PM
2 moms liked this

What time is bath? Maybe try and see if he will sit on the potty while you fill the tub with water.?

jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My son did this for a while too.  It was SO frustrating.  Just last week one day, he was in the bath and said "oh... poop" and he hadn't gone yet, so I had him get out and he sat on the potty and went within seconds.  I was so proud of him!  I know the warm water has something to do with it.  Could you maybe have him leave the tub after a few mins and have him try on the potty?  I am actually hoping this will help us get the hang of going #2 on the potty, because it is so hard to predict when he needs to go otherwise and we are having a hard time making the connection.  I gave him TONS of high fives, what a big boys, and You did its!  He was very proud.

My son (also has DS) didn't really start potty training until closer to 5, because I just didn't see any of the signs of readiness prior to that time.

mommaharley
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:22 PM

It isn't uncommon for them to start potty training later - my daughter is almost three and slowly showing more and more signs.  If he's telling you before he poops, it's a good sign. He may just be taking some time to figure out what that feeling means.

sammygrl77
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:34 PM
That warm water gets my ds all the time. I catch it most of the time since he has a very obvious poopy face.
Bellum
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Oh memories!  Yes, bath time poops were very common.  I would have my son sit for a long time, while the tub was filing.  I would save a favorite book to read, and just get him comfy.  If he didn't go before te bath, I watched him like a hawk, and would pull him out if he looked ready to start.  I hate to admit this, but what helped him get the idea pooping on the potty was better was when he had a bout of diarrhea.  I could see it was like a light bulb going on for him.  It took a long time.  Hang in there!love you sign

britmichele
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:47 PM
It doesn't matter what time bath is.... He poops no matter what.

Quoting willysmama:

What time is bath? Maybe try and see if he will sit on the potty while you fill the tub with water.?

britmichele
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:51 PM
I do that, pull him out when he starts and he freaks out. I'm scared he'll get stopped up and constipated :( and when he gets diarrhea, he poops every time he coughs. Maybe I'm being too quick to try n train him.....

Quoting Bellum:

Oh memories!  Yes, bath time poops were very common.  I would have my son sit for a long time, while the tub was filing.  I would save a favorite book to read, and just get him comfy.  If he didn't go before te bath, I watched him like a hawk, and would pull him out if he looked ready to start.  I hate to admit this, but what helped him get the idea pooping on the potty was better was when he had a bout of diarrhea.  I could see it was like a light bulb going on for him.  It took a long time.  Hang in there!love you sign

mommaharley
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Wait for him to show you signs that he's ready.

golfqueen123
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Hang in there! My son will be 6 and thank god he has been potty trained since 3. I just put him on every so often and he would go and then he started pointing at himself when he had to go and has just really wanted to do it ever since. I'm very fortunate because he really wasn't difficult. I feel your pain as I have a friend who has a downs son as well (same age) and he shows no interest what so ever.  We've tried giving him his favorite treat , lots of praise, you name it he just doesn't want to I guess! Your son will get there soon, hang in there and good luck to you both. My son won't talk is your son saying much! Thanks

CameronsMommy23
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Like the other ladies said I'd just wait awhile and then try again. My son wasn't potty trained til age 6 & we tried for yrs before that. But last yr he started elementary school and suddenly he just wanted to use the potty. Maybe it was bc he knew other kids used the potty and maybe he was just ready at that time. It'll happen when he's ready, hang in there!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)