Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Autistic Boy's 'Disappearance' Could Be Best Thing to Happen to Him

Autistic Boy's 'Disappearance' Could Be Best Thing to Happen to Him

Posted by Jeanne Sager

Christina MilliganIt's one of those stories where you don't know whether the cry or cheer. A mother in Sacramento reported her 9-year-old autistic son was missing. But when cops showed up to take the claim, they say they found the boy in a bedroom of her absolutely filthy apartment.

It makes you question Christina Milligan's sanity for sure. How could she not know her child was right there? And what was she doing with him in an apartment that cops say was teeming with ockroaches, dirty diapers, trash scattered around and reeking of urine?

Horrifying. And yet ...

Cops came, didn't they?

They got this poor child out of there. He's now in the hands of Sacramento County Child Protective Services along with his sibling, while his mom is cooling her heels in jail.

It's the happiest ending you can get out of something so awful. This boy was allegedly found soaked in his own urine. And although we don't know where he was on the spectrum, the fact that cops made it a point to tell media that he was autistic means it's highly possible that he didn't have the means, at 9, to get himself out of those clothes or out of that awful situation.

There are many who think kids with autism are more likely to be victims of child abuse because their difficulty with social situations makes them less aware that they should be telling someone of their abuse. And of course kids on the spectrum who are non-verbal or have limited communication skills simply CAN'T tell anyone.

So let's look at this case again. We have a child stuck in squalor with a mother whose mental health or intelligence are questionable at best -- at least when you consider her odd call to police.

Was her call to the cops a blessing in disguise?

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Replies (11-18):
sheila5745
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:34 AM

I would be worried about the child too. Maybe you can make friends with the mom, then you could kinda keep an eye on him.

Quoting staci328:

a couple years ago this little boy literally ran into my house and up to my room, he was skinny, hair was dirty, and looked like he just escaped out of a house like the one in the story. He also had a remote in his hands that he would'nt let go. When I asked him questions he would just repeat whatever I would say. My sister was on the phone with the police and they said a autistic child was just reported missing so they came and then the parents came. The father was so rude and was swearing at the little boy. I called the cop back a couple days later to ask him if he the little boy was ok and if he checked the house. He said he did and everything was ok. I guess this wasn't the first time he did this...but i still worry about the kind of situation he lives in because of how the father acted!

staci328
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM

that was a couple years ago, I dont even know where they stay. When I talked to the officer he knew I was really concerned for him but he said he checked everything out so I trust that he really did, he seemed like he cared! but agreed the father was trashy and thats what worried me. 

Quoting sheila5745:

I would be worried about the child too. Maybe you can make friends with the mom, then you could kinda keep an eye on him.

Quoting staci328:

a couple years ago this little boy literally ran into my house and up to my room, he was skinny, hair was dirty, and looked like he just escaped out of a house like the one in the story. He also had a remote in his hands that he would'nt let go. When I asked him questions he would just repeat whatever I would say. My sister was on the phone with the police and they said a autistic child was just reported missing so they came and then the parents came. The father was so rude and was swearing at the little boy. I called the cop back a couple days later to ask him if he the little boy was ok and if he checked the house. He said he did and everything was ok. I guess this wasn't the first time he did this...but i still worry about the kind of situation he lives in because of how the father acted!

sheila5745
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM

That would really worry me, I have a friend and she says her husband thinks that spanking the child (16) with autism is OK. What is he teaching this boy? Mentally he is still a child. The boy retaliates by braking things. I really feel for the mom and the child. she is trying to find a way out of her marriage but doesn't see how. She has 2 other kids and her parents are not very supportive of her leaving her marriage. My heart breaks for her.

Quoting staci328:

that was a couple years ago, I dont even know where they stay. When I talked to the officer he knew I was really concerned for him but he said he checked everything out so I trust that he really did, he seemed like he cared! but agreed the father was trashy and thats what worried me. 

Quoting sheila5745:

Quoting staci328:

blessed4918
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Yes it was how awful every day here in Roanoke,Va back in 2110 a black boy 2  years old was killed by his stepfather they lived in an apartment in Southeast well stepdad says someone broke in and tied him up or roughed him up then tied the boy and his sister up but that was not true  well to make this story short him and mom both got charged and she was pregant again.

The little boy was black like I am and had been in guess foster home they were white they had given him back to his mom they found other brusies I hate to say where he was put but and excuse me they find him dead in the blank landfill and I read how they said he looked I am going to start crying all over again how can people do what they do look at us moms special needs kids yes I get tired frustrated but I would not trade Brittany and why now after 19 years I myself was raised as a foster child I have one sister and we get along fine got into a good family both parents have passed on.

I say you do not wont them call somebody gosh sad sad 

amiesmomma
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM

We're practicly neighbors!  I am in C-burg.  I remember that story,too.  How they said he'd been kidnapped but he'd died and they threw him in the trash.  He had some kind of digestive/feeding issues and was severly underweight.  The foster family had him for over a year and he was healthy again and I don't remember why they gave him back to the natural mother.  It was so sad, his picture was all over tv in his little spongebob pajamas.

Quoting blessed4918:

Yes it was how awful every day here in Roanoke,Va back in 2110 a black boy 2  years old was killed by his stepfather they lived in an apartment in Southeast well stepdad says someone broke in and tied him up or roughed him up then tied the boy and his sister up but that was not true  well to make this story short him and mom both got charged and she was pregant again.

The little boy was black like I am and had been in guess foster home they were white they had given him back to his mom they found other brusies I hate to say where he was put but and excuse me they find him dead in the blank landfill and I read how they said he looked I am going to start crying all over again how can people do what they do look at us moms special needs kids yes I get tired frustrated but I would not trade Brittany and why now after 19 years I myself was raised as a foster child I have one sister and we get along fine got into a good family both parents have passed on.

staci328
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Im sorry but I would literally beat my DH if he put his hands on my kid like that! I know not all people are like that but maybe she needs to get in hubbys face a little and not back down! He sounds like a jerk!!!

Quoting sheila5745:

That would really worry me, I have a friend and she says her husband thinks that spanking the child (16) with autism is OK. What is he teaching this boy? Mentally he is still a child. The boy retaliates by braking things. I really feel for the mom and the child. she is trying to find a way out of her marriage but doesn't see how. She has 2 other kids and her parents are not very supportive of her leaving her marriage. My heart breaks for her.

Quoting staci328:

Quoting sheila5745:

Quoting staci328:

staci328
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM

OMG! that poor baby! I remember a case like that here along time ago. I don't remember all the details but I know this young boy was a foster child, I think he was 1 or 2 yrs old. Anyways the foster mother was sick! she would punish the child in horrible ways like put his hands in hot boiling water!!! this shit makes me so sick to my stomach. CPS was called on her a few times but nothing was never found! I cant remember how it ended but I know someone found the baby dead in the front yard!!! of course she was charged then but what pisses me off is that they wait till something like this happenes and its to late to save a child!

Quoting blessed4918:

Iamsweetypie
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I pity this mom. Instead of saying she was unintelligent or mentally unstable could it be she tried and tried and could not find help? My son is 5 we have been waiting over a year to get put on a waiting list which could be up to 2 yrs long for help for him. And its all because my hubby's job does not offer insurance and we are on state. 3 freakin years for help. It is not fair at all. So, I blame the system for not wanting to help poor famlies of special needs kids. I am praying that because CPS/DCF is now involved they can help this mom connect to services and get her son back. I just really pray for this mom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)