Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you let your child

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM
  • 17 Replies
watch tv?

Do you let your special needs child, more specifically those who have physical illnesses, watch more tv then your "healthy" kids?

My son is 18months and has CF. he gets sick a lot and the only thing that calms him down is Iron Man or The Avengers. He watches TV prob 6 hr a day on most days. All he wants to do is cuddle and watch his movie. I hate doing it but he will follow me screaming if I don't let him.

It makes me feel like a crappy mom
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiffs2009
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Bump
willysmama
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:12 PM

My son listens to about 6 hrs of tv. Some are educational shows and some are just cartoons like phineas and ferb. We play and do his therapy exercises while he listens to the tv shows. During bedtime routine and on sick days we read more than we watch tv causes likes to cuddle.

tiffs2009
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Ya. I've tried reading. Zach loves to rip then eat pages. Everything is food to him :/

Quoting willysmama:

My son listens to about 6 hrs of tv. Some are educational shows and some are just cartoons like phineas and ferb. We play and do his therapy exercises while he listens to the tv shows. During bedtime routine and on sick days we read more than we watch tv causes likes to cuddle.

willysmama
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Quoting tiffs2009:

Ya. I've tried reading. Zach loves to rip then eat pages. Everything is food to him :/

Quoting willysmama:

I give my son a board book to play and or destroy while i read the other book. It helps some.

tobysmom103
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:43 PM

toby only likes watching tv when hes eating

momgirlsx2
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Dd frequently has tv on but she doesn't pay attention to it. For her I think it's kinda like background noise. She probably only watches an hour maybe 90 minutes a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM
My little guy loves TV. I just try to balance it with other activities and since he goes to school, he doesn't get to watch all day, but does get to watch when he gets home and on weekends.
sammygrl77
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Yes. Ds watches it a lot more than dd. The tv is on most of the day and he watches it quite a bit.
valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:58 PM

My son loves tv alot but I unplug & monitor his time he wants only certain shows & is episode specific plus he mimics it all & stims terribly. I give him maybe an hour before dinner.  He really can get upset like its the end of the world but I ignore it & eventually redirect.   He is my youngest so I am very lucky I can focus on playing & skills in the afternoon plus he has aides that work with me.   

tiffs2009
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Do you ever feel bad about it?

Quoting sammygrl77:

Yes. Ds watches it a lot more than dd. The tv is on most of the day and he watches it quite a bit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)