Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Obsessed with staying up late! Advice Please. PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM
  • 7 Replies

My son has gotten it into his head that he wants to stay up late every night. He even refuses to take his Melatonin. Since he is in online school that isn't an issue and he actually does do better on his assignments when he can work on them later in the day. But it is worrying me because he refuses to try to go to bed. I tried sneaking his Melatonin in a snack so he wouldn't know but that doesn't work anymore. He's on to my trick. LOL. Also he does get plenty of sleep it is just if he has his way he wants to go to bed at 5 am and sleep till 3 pm. I am exhausted trying to fight him on this. He will even pretend to be asleep when I check on him. Any advice is appreciated.

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:24 AM
How old is he?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cutie222
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:32 AM

10 yrs old

Quoting mandee1503:

How old is he?

1CopaceticMama
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:56 AM

BUMP!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:54 AM

I honestly have no idea...my son is 4 and special needs, so he goes to sleep at typical times.  Hugs!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:03 AM
2 moms liked this
I'd set some rules. Tell him ok. Bedtime was at 8pm you may now stay up until 9pm. At which point you will get ready for bed, take your melatonin. Then you have 10-15 minutes of quiet reading time then lights out. If he doesn't want to abide by this start taking things away. Tv video games if he plays. Extra computer time. Only homework. Move the computer to a general room so you can moniter it. Just some ideas.

Quoting cutie222:

10 yrs old

Quoting mandee1503:

How old is he?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lifeisajoy
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Set consistent rules and follow through with them-whatever works for you and Amanda had good ideas--Be firm but caring-he is 10 and you are the mom--it is hard for our special need kiddos sometimes but they still need rules and understand mom is mom and they are the kid

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I would never allow that. Bedtime is strictly followed in our house. I would set rules and take things away if you have too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN