Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

The stress & financial part of it

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 10 Replies

They just told me they suspect my 4 yr old has mild Autism. She goes to speech therapy on Mondays & if she is diagnosed I may have to add some things to her calendar. Starting next month my 2 yr old will be going to physical therapy twice a week in addition to therapy once a week that they give her at home. Add all the Dr appts & just the simple job of making, writing down, & the re scheduling of appts! Thats like a p/t 20 hr a week job in itself!
Needless to say im over stressed right now. I work part time 20-30 hrs a week & while im blessed to work for a company that works with my schedule its still too much these last couple of weeks. Id love to take a few weeks off and just gather my thoughts, focus on the kids & go thru all their ppwk to make sure im not missing anything. Would Love to just be able to make all the follow up calls on my "to do list" or check my voicemail before it gets to30 mssgs :/
So I've seriously been considering taking a stress leave from work for a few weeks. Im hoping this would stop the pressure in my chest, the twitching in my eye & the panick attacks at night that make me feel like I cant breathe that I've been having lately. Does anyone know if that is something I can do? Im in CA for what its worth.

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Is there anyone who can relieve some of the stress?

dawncs
by Dawn on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Welcome to the group! Did you know that your daughter would qualify for Special Education (http://www.wrightslaw.com/) services through the school district once diagnosed? You should let them know in writing that you request an evaluation for services. You might want to check into respite services through a college student (psychology, nursing, social work, or education major) to help you with the appointments through a service provider.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

ZelisMommy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM

The sitter watches them at home so I dont have to be there for her at home appts, but other than that, no. My husband works full time and our mothers are not an option. My mom works F/T and goes to school F/T and his mother is.... well lets just say she's never been involved in their lives.

Quoting natesmom1228:

Is there anyone who can relieve some of the stress?

ZelisMommy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Thank you.

Quoting dawncs:

Welcome to the group! Did you know that your daughter would qualify for Special Education (http://www.wrightslaw.com/) services through the school district once diagnosed? You should let them know in writing that you request an evaluation for services. You might want to check into respite services through a college student (psychology, nursing, social work, or education major) to help you with the appointments through a service provider.

sammygrl77
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM
(((Hugs)))

It does get stressful. I don't work anymore, but finding the time for everything is still challenging. I try to find an hour once or twice a week as needed to get caught up on the paperwork /phone call part of things. I found that I get the best results that way. I can't do it when I'm taking care of the kids because they inturupt and it takes twice as long.

Can your babysitter stay for an hour to let you get caught up?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
graycalico
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:12 PM
My so has utilized the family medical leave act. Recently he filed a request for an intermittent one to cover appointments that can't be scheduled on his days off.
If you can afford a few weeks off I would take it. Get a chance to get organized and just to breathe a bit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Hugs mama...hope you get relief soon!

sheila5745
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Hugs, I hope you can. Your health is important to making sure the kids are safe and taken care of.

letstalk747
by Joy on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM

i sure hope your company would give you  MEDICAL LEAVE , YOU  wont know till you ask , i know its rough

lifeisajoy
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Hugs mama-not sure what the laws but I am pretty sure-mental health break-prob without pay--

I too work part time and feel the same way you are-trying to keep everything up to date--

Hugs mama and understand!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)