Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Anyone here get SSI for their child(ren)? ** UPDATE 3/13

I applied for SSI for my youngest daughter, who has Sturge Weber Syndrome on 10/17, and I haven't heard anything back yet.   I have an older daughter who has ODD, ADHD and is cognitively disabled who gets SSI, and it took just a little under 3 months to get approved.   

Someone told me that the longer it takes to hear from them, the greater the possibility that my daughter will get turned down.

How long did it take for your child to get approved for SSI, if you were approved?

UPDATE:  I got a letter today in the mail from the State of Wisconsin that handles disability claims and they want a friend or relative to fill out a form about my daughters seizure activity. I have ten days to have someone fill it out and get sent back to them, or they'll use what they have to determine if my daughter is eligible.   Kind of sounds like she's going to be turned down to me.

:(   Ugh!     What do you think?   It's been over 3 months since I filed for my daughter, and they couldn't send this paper work out before now? 

ANOTHER UPDATE:   It will be five months on the 16th of March, since I applied, and I still haven't heard anything.  I'm debating on whether or not to call?  

Could this be a good thing that I haven't heard anything or a bad thing?  Lke they're trying to decide??

CURRENT UPDATE:   Well...  I called Social Security today.  The agent said that it's still processing.   She said that if I didn't hear back by March 9th, to call them again.  Good grief.  I just want a "yes" or a "no".  

Update as of 3/13:    I called the Disability Determination Bureau today and all they could tell me was that it was assigned to an examiner and that it's pending.  *sighs*  Guess I'll wait another two weeks and check up on it again.    I just don't want them to send something out and then I not get it, and then we lose the 5 months that it'll be since I filed on the 16th (saturday)

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Replies (21-30):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:43 AM

I would definitely do it.  Do exactly what they ask for and you will have given it your all to get her this extra help!  Good luck mama!

sununner36
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:27 AM

the first time I didn't hear anything...... They did not receive the paperwork.  Applied 2nd time, and had my hearing. Was turned down because dh works over 40 hours so therefore makes too much money.  Waiting for a 3 months of only 40 hours so I can reapply.

reapply if you are turned down, or have a hearing. Keep pestering them and don't let it slack so you can get SSI for her.

JenaSmith
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM
They sent me a paper like that a week after applying. I had to put a theraphist and hope they take it. they said they would when i talked to them. conner is only around theraphist. drs. and family. All my friends are family lol. Hope it don't mean bad but just fill it out and send it back. Just keep on it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by Chelle on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Hmm that's something I've not heard if before. My son has epilepsy and we were never asked to have someone else document the seizure activity.
Jennyvltmn
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

It took one month for my son to get approved. It all depends on how fast they can get ahold of all his health records, and when they can have him evaluated. Good luck.

grandmalove2012
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM

That's why I'm concerned. :(

Quoting Mipsy:

Hmm that's something I've not heard if before. My son has epilepsy and we were never asked to have someone else document the seizure activity.

singlemomfour
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:12 AM

it depends on your worker i ve noticed

3JsMom611
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM
I applied for my son with autism and my other son with ODD, ADHD, and BiPolar on August 16 and just received a call a week ago that they are just now requesting records. It's been 4 months that my children's files stayed stagnant before someone looked at them. So I'm assuming another 3-4 months before a decision is made. I think it all depends on the State and their backlog. Good luck!
sammygrl77
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM
I got that paperwork when I applied for myself. It was a couple of months befote I heard anything after that. Some of the questionnaires are sent directly to people named on the application.
grandmalove2012
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Still nothing :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN