Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone here get SSI for their child(ren)? ** UPDATE 3/13

I applied for SSI for my youngest daughter, who has Sturge Weber Syndrome on 10/17, and I haven't heard anything back yet.   I have an older daughter who has ODD, ADHD and is cognitively disabled who gets SSI, and it took just a little under 3 months to get approved.   

Someone told me that the longer it takes to hear from them, the greater the possibility that my daughter will get turned down.

How long did it take for your child to get approved for SSI, if you were approved?

UPDATE:  I got a letter today in the mail from the State of Wisconsin that handles disability claims and they want a friend or relative to fill out a form about my daughters seizure activity. I have ten days to have someone fill it out and get sent back to them, or they'll use what they have to determine if my daughter is eligible.   Kind of sounds like she's going to be turned down to me.

:(   Ugh!     What do you think?   It's been over 3 months since I filed for my daughter, and they couldn't send this paper work out before now? 

ANOTHER UPDATE:   It will be five months on the 16th of March, since I applied, and I still haven't heard anything.  I'm debating on whether or not to call?  

Could this be a good thing that I haven't heard anything or a bad thing?  Lke they're trying to decide??

CURRENT UPDATE:   Well...  I called Social Security today.  The agent said that it's still processing.   She said that if I didn't hear back by March 9th, to call them again.  Good grief.  I just want a "yes" or a "no".  

Update as of 3/13:    I called the Disability Determination Bureau today and all they could tell me was that it was assigned to an examiner and that it's pending.  *sighs*  Guess I'll wait another two weeks and check up on it again.    I just don't want them to send something out and then I not get it, and then we lose the 5 months that it'll be since I filed on the 16th (saturday)

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Replies (31-40):
britmichele
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:21 AM
It only took just over a month for us. Hope u hear something soon!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:18 AM

I don't know much about it but I would definitely call if I were you.  Hugs mama!

lasombrs
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:22 AM

We got a letter about sending in more info or they would use what they had. we couldn't get everything. we were approved anyway a few days after they needed things by. we had to call to find out though. there is another phone interview needed as well before the checks start

singlemotherof8
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Yes, my daughter 21 and my granddaughter 8 both get it.

CameronsMommy23
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:56 AM
I'd call and check the status of the application. ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jmrb2012
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM

it took us 7 months for my daughter to be approved for ssi

dyer07
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:27 PM

My daughter is 6 years old, she ahs Cystic Fibrosis and she gets SSI, it took 2 years to finally get it,.. but she finally got it!

lmevans
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM

It only took 2-3 weeks for my daughter to get it. I also had a lot of her medical file and mailed it to them with the application and pay stubs, which I am sure cut down on some of the time frame.

Hope you hear something back soon.

Lindsay - Mom to two little girls Ara 2/5/10 and Molly 2/10/12. 

Ara's Adventures in Autism

A Service Dog for Ara

proudmommy22775
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM
My oldest has been on ssi since he was 8 months old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andersonmommy2
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:36 PM

My son has it temporarily till they find out for sure if he is approved. My son has a rare disease called Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia and Dystonia. According to the letter they sent me they will pay up to 6 mo on some cases till they are approved/denied after 6 mo. My son was originally diagnosed with one of the things on the list which is cerebral palsy even though that's not what he has. I originally applied Dec 2011 and was denied last June because of switching states and them not having the correct info and such. I reapplied this month and got his 1st check this month. We are hoping for a decission by August. I would call them and see if they have a discission yet. I was calling every 90 days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)