Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Anyone here get SSI for their child(ren)? ** UPDATE 3/13

I applied for SSI for my youngest daughter, who has Sturge Weber Syndrome on 10/17, and I haven't heard anything back yet.   I have an older daughter who has ODD, ADHD and is cognitively disabled who gets SSI, and it took just a little under 3 months to get approved.   

Someone told me that the longer it takes to hear from them, the greater the possibility that my daughter will get turned down.

How long did it take for your child to get approved for SSI, if you were approved?

UPDATE:  I got a letter today in the mail from the State of Wisconsin that handles disability claims and they want a friend or relative to fill out a form about my daughters seizure activity. I have ten days to have someone fill it out and get sent back to them, or they'll use what they have to determine if my daughter is eligible.   Kind of sounds like she's going to be turned down to me.

:(   Ugh!     What do you think?   It's been over 3 months since I filed for my daughter, and they couldn't send this paper work out before now? 

ANOTHER UPDATE:   It will be five months on the 16th of March, since I applied, and I still haven't heard anything.  I'm debating on whether or not to call?  

Could this be a good thing that I haven't heard anything or a bad thing?  Lke they're trying to decide??

CURRENT UPDATE:   Well...  I called Social Security today.  The agent said that it's still processing.   She said that if I didn't hear back by March 9th, to call them again.  Good grief.  I just want a "yes" or a "no".  

Update as of 3/13:    I called the Disability Determination Bureau today and all they could tell me was that it was assigned to an examiner and that it's pending.  *sighs*  Guess I'll wait another two weeks and check up on it again.    I just don't want them to send something out and then I not get it, and then we lose the 5 months that it'll be since I filed on the 16th (saturday)

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Replies (41-50):
bird846
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Well for us I didn't hear anything for three and a half months they called me just at the 120 day mark and told me she was approved. And I was told when it takes along time thats a good sign.

grandmalove2012
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Wow.  7 months?   Can I ask what state you live in? I'm in WI

grandmalove2012
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Quoting bird846:

Well for us I didn't hear anything for three and a half months they called me just at the 120 day mark and told me she was approved. And I was told when it takes along time thats a good sign.

So they actually called you?   Did they call you and send a letter? 

And who told you that when it takes a long time that's a good sign?

sammygrl77
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM
You should call your local office. They can check the status. I know the offices are all really behind.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I would call to see what is going on-wish she receives it!!

RobinChristine
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM

17 years ago Thor was born 10/9. We applied almost immediately with the help of hospital socail worker. We got our first check mid Janurary. The check actually came before the approval letter.

lovetobemomof5
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I am from WI too! I just applied for my two boys in January. We are getting on our 3 month mark too. My oldest daughter who is 15 has ADHD and cognative disablity too and her SSI took about 2 months! I don't know what to think about this wait either. There is no harm in calling to get an update!

happy2bmom25
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I got a letter requesting a test result. they wanted it in 10 days. i called the geneticist after i received their letter to request a copy of the test results. there was absolutely no way i could get it to them in 10 days. i called them 3 times a day for four days until they finally called me back. we did get approved though. we actually had a woman start the paperwork for us when we were in the hospital. I am not sure why, but it seems like paperwork from the hospital gets processed faster.

grandmalove2012
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Bump!  Updated

desperatemom123
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:47 PM
They do base on income correct?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)