Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Hearing tests-edit

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:12 PM
  • 12 Replies
My dd keeps failing hearing tests but then we go to audiology and she is fine? We are going into audiology for a 3rd time now! She is 5 and this is the 8th hearing test she has failed in 3 yrs.

Edit- she fails the screenings at the doctor and at school. She failed once at audiology but passed the next time. At 2 she was seen at the ENT (before she had ever failed one) and they said she was fine. We were there for her tonsils btw.

Any YES she has had extensive hearing tests at audiology, this is our 3rd time going, 4 round if tests.

Anyone else have this issue? Was there something wrong?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicki.hemingway
by Nicki on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:13 PM

We had this issue with my dd.  She needed tubes to help fluid drain from her ears.  Since fluid can come and go (without infections) she would intermittently pass and fail. 

tiffs2009
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Oh ok. Makes sense cause dd is going to the ENT for possible tubes and possible deviated septum (sp?).

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

We had this issue with my dd.  She needed tubes to help fluid drain from her ears.  Since fluid can come and go (without infections) she would intermittently pass and fail. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Is she failing a certain kind of hearing test?  Have you considered a sedated ABR hearing test?  That is really accurate...hugs mama!

zadesmom1998
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:42 AM
Ds 9 gets them every three months at the doc. He produces a lot of wax and it settles on his ear drum. So we go in for them to flush it out. They check his hearing after every time. They used to do it before but he always failed it then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owenmom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:07 AM

My son was failing his also. So i went to a new ENT and Audiologist to get another opinion. My son has had tubes and they said he must have wax or fluid since he keeps failing. This was not the case my son has mild conductive hearing loss in both ears and now has hearing aids. I was very upset that they kept missing it and changed to the Dr's that found it and never saw the others again. My son was 5 when i finally got the dx.

My suggestion is to go see someone new. We are in PA so i went to the Children's Hospital of Philly. Good luck and i hope you get some answers soon. Keep us posted

jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM

What tests is she failing?  Audiologists have much more indepth ways of measuring a child's hearing than the standard screening test, say at school.  If your child has communication delays, for example, she may fail the school screening.  The audiologist can do testing, like an ABR, which can measure hearing without the child needing to verbally respond.  How do YOU think she is hearing?  If you have concerns about her hearing, I would request an ABR.  

JenaSmith
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Audiology can do a test to check for fluid. If no fluid they need to do a mri and ct to make sure the nerves are present and the cochelar is formed right. also see if the bones are developed right. its what they did with my son after failing all the standard ones
tiffs2009
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Bump for edit
gma12.1
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I hope that her hearing issue gets resolved this time for you & her.  

Lina failed the screening test at school but the nurse that administered the test told me that it is only a screening and that it is hard when a child is sn & non-verbal over 2/3 fail and half or more of those are fine when they go to the audiologist. Until that we didn't know Lina had a problem hearing or a vision problem. When we went to audiology at the Children's Hospital Lina got a real thorough exam, I was surprised they didn't order x-rays the test was so thorough. Then a hearing test was done a few days later & 2 weeks after that another hearing test to verify the results were accurate. After the 2nd test Lina was fitted for hearing aids. We went 4 times in 6 weeks. Intial exam visit, 1st hearing test, 2nd hearing test & hearing aid molding, then picking up finished hearing aids.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

willysmama
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM

my son had an ABR done when the audiologists couldn't figure out how to test him. Turns out he can hear just fine. He can hear a pin drop in the next room. That was when the doctor said and wrote in his medical chart he has male selective hearing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)