Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

doing the things that help your kids but make you feel like crap!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM
  • 29 Replies
Kyrian has to wear a brace on his right foot to try and stretch his tendon, but he hates the thing. he is suppose to wear it while he sleeps but refuses to go to sleep with it on. he just sits in his bed and screams. i try to but it on him at different times of the day but all he does is scream, and all i can do is hold him becease he has to wear it. all the while i am crying inside because i am hurting my baby.my husband doesn't understand why i am crabby all the time. it is just frustrating.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sammygrl77
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM
2 moms liked this
(((Hugs))) That is one of the worst parts of parenting a special needs child.

My son's pt suggested that we take it slow and offer rewards. Maybe try a short time at first and increase it each night. Or put it on when he's sleeping if you can.
krolczyk
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Thank you. we started out that way. we were told to start with an hour a dayand just increase from there. we can't seem to get passed three hours by that time he is choking on his screams. he was going to P.T. but after 8wks he was still sitting there screaming everytime we walked in to the building he rused to do anything and wouldn't stop screaming untill we left have tried the rewards they don't seem to work and my other kids get jealous and makes me feel even more like crap
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM
*hugs* I'm sorry that's frustrating.
lifeisajoy
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM

hugs mama-yes we started slowly with his different braces or things he has to do

My son -giving him suppository-I hate that-his stomach hurts-but he needs it or he don't poop-it is every other day

Right now it is putting this cream by his area due to a rash-ugghh-he don't like that but it is helping him--

Another one is removing wax from his ears-he hates the stuff in his ears but it helps him

Another one is his teeth bleed while flossing-all the time-but i have to floss them-

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:48 AM

HUGS!!

krolczyk
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you all for the hugs and support
Bawyada
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Ugh! I feel for you.  The only thing I can think of, is maybe get you out of the picture? I can't take my son for a haircut he behaves horribly for me but great for my husband.   During PT I often have to leave the room.  Maybe if your husband does it or a relative? You shouldn't be in the room.  Who knows? Maybe that will help. 

letstalk747
by Joy on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM

welcome , im joy

i hear ya , thats got to be rough

jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:20 PM
HUGS! Been there a few times and it is hard. It always made me feel like crying right along with him!
krolczyk
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM
We have tried daddy in the past it helped a little but not much. we can't use my husband for another month or two as he just had back surgery last month and is in therapy himself right now

Quoting Bawyada:

Ugh! I feel for you.  The only thing I can think of, is maybe get you out of the picture? I can't take my son for a haircut he behaves horribly for me but great for my husband.   During PT I often have to leave the room.  Maybe if your husband does it or a relative? You shouldn't be in the room.  Who knows? Maybe that will help. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)