Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Service Animals?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM
  • 16 Replies

How do you all feel about service animals? I have a service dog for my son, and it is a working progress. My son loves the dog. Our dog can't detect seizures yet, but he seems to bring comfort to my son. I just am interested to see what you other mommas think. Thanks a bunch ladies. 

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mipsy
by Chelle on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

We are actually in the process of fundraising for a seizure response dog for our son :) It's great to meet others who have service dogs for the same reason :) We will get ours around October

ScarletRose4488
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I know it would be great for the dog to start to detect seizures....even better if he can detect warning signs.  But sometimes having a loving companion by your side is the best medicine of all.  I know that can be frustrating for you but seizures are a weird thing.  I have read all kinds of studies and different things.... you know like the stuff that they put in medical journals.   They don't know how or why but seizures intensity, frequency, & length have all been theorized to increase with stress.  And a dog can help with that.  Ideally, yes you want him to bark, ect.  But if just lying next to him can calm your son down maybe that can relax him and cause the seizures to stop faster.   I don't know if it will work but it works for many other conditions and they think it might be linked so can it hurt?   My suggestion is as you work with the dog, you remind your son that he is safe and that the dog is there to protect him.  It just may help.   Best of Luck!

gma12.1
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I had a service dog for myself. A service dog is wonderful not only for the job that they are trained to do but just for the comfort that they give too. We've thought off and on about a seizure dog for Lina but aren't sure yet. I personally like the idea of a service or therapy dog for sn children actually I like the idea of service dogs period. Then again I am prejudice.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

lifeisajoy
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

We had a dog that I think was a service dog (though never like officially trained) he was a golden-I adopted my son at age 12 years old and my son did not trust anyone in beginning besides golden-if we wanted son to get to bathroom then golden would go into bathroom and son would follow-if we wanted son to go to bed-then golden would get his bed and son would follow-

we taught son not to hit and scream by petting golden and if he hit golden-golden would not be mean-we kept teaching him to pet golden-golden I really thinkg got it--

golden taught my son many things-the most trust--ok I am tearing up writing this

Golden past away last September-now I am balling-non-stop crying here-I love Golden-my son still ask aobut him-oh my gosh I can not stop crying now-

Anyways yes service dogs are WONDERFUL!!!

sunshine646
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM
My grandson is 5yrs old and he has sizures,he had a suzure in his sleep early
Saturday morning . My daughter just happen to check on him he was having s sizure
She couldn't get him awake. He almost died he was turning blue and stop breathing.
Where would we find s dog the would let you know he was having a sizure?
momof2js946
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I am curious about service dogs. My 9 yr. old son is totally blind and we've been told that he has to be cane proficent and at least 17 yrs. old before we can even apply. Does this sound right? I can see him being cane efficent and able to give commands to the dog and not just as a puppy/pet, But why so old?

Mipsy
by Chelle on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Honestly a simple google search will turn up quite a few organizations :)

Quoting sunshine646:

My grandson is 5yrs old and he has sizures,he had a suzure in his sleep early

Saturday morning . My daughter just happen to check on him he was having s sizure

She couldn't get him awake. He almost died he was turning blue and stop breathing.

Where would we find s dog the would let you know he was having a sizure?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by Chelle on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:14 PM
For being blind, I'm not sure. My son is only 4.5 and getting one but for his seizures. Where all have you looked? There are a ton of organizations out there. Some won't train for anyone under 18, others won't train for under 10-12, others won't train for under 5, and others train all ages. Just do a google search for your needs and some should pop up

Quoting momof2js946:

I am curious about service dogs. My 9 yr. old son is totally blind and we've been told that he has to be cane proficent and at least 17 yrs. old before we can even apply. Does this sound right? I can see him being cane efficent and able to give commands to the dog and not just as a puppy/pet, But why so old?

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM
We don't have any pets or service animals. Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:33 PM
We have been talking about getting ds a dog. Maybe not a service dog since they cost more.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)