Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

How do you all feel about service animals? I have a service dog for my son, and it is a working progress. My son loves the dog. Our dog can't detect seizures yet, but he seems to bring comfort to my son. I just am interested to see what you other mommas think. Thanks a bunch ladies. 

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Replies (11-16):
momof2js946
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:35 PM

thanks for the info....I'll check it out.

sammygrl77
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:09 PM
We would like one for Christopher when he gets older and over his fear of animals.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trio8707
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:35 PM

We don't have any service animals, nor are they in our future plans.  I just don't see how they would help Blake and Olivia as their needs are extensive.

Jennyvltmn
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:25 PM

You can alway have a trainer train your dog for you thats what we did. It only costed about 1500 to do so. Our dog is amazing. He still has a lot of work to do, but he is only one. For us it was better to start out fresh, so my son, and the puppy could grow together. Check out people in your area that train service dogs. Ask at hospitals, and schools too.

gma12.1
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:59 AM

A service dog doesn't cost more than a regular dog unless you are going to buy one from an organization that has them already trained. Those dogs can be extremely expensive. A lot depends on what the dog needs to be trained to do.

Quoting mandee1503:

We have been talking about getting ds a dog. Maybe not a service dog since they cost more.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:09 AM
I think they are wonderful for people who need them. Definitely a comfort/companion and amazingly helpful. Our friends have one for their DD who has multiple disabilities.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)