Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school work....this is long & a vent.

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:22 PM
  • 13 Replies

Have any of you dealt with this? 

Most of you know that Lina is in a self-contained SpEd class, she is classified as being in 3rd grade but she had the abilities of preK. Well it is about halfway thru the year at the new school and I've told you about the new teacher, & aides. Well the beginning of the year the teacher seemed to be doing pretty well with what work she was giving Lina in school. Well she began to send homework home, the kids like that idea. They get the packet of 4-5 pages on Monday to be brought back on Friday. The last 3 times that homework has been sent home there has been at least one page that is geared for a typical 3rd grader. I am not happy about that and am waiting for the weeks school work to be sent home. On Monday the teacher usually sends all the finished work home with the kids from the week before. Lina gets upset when we can't do that one really hard page, I did try letting her do one and she got upset because she couldn't do it unless I told her the answers and told her what letters to write. Like a dummy I've thrown away alot of that. I should never have done that. I am not sure I want Lina in this classroom with this teacher next year, maybe not even in this school. I know I'm not going to pull her out at this time because of the trauma for her due to such a drastic change to what she has gotten used to.

Here is an example of what Lina had as homework last week:

READ then two sentences that are combined & place a line between where one sentence ends & the next sentence begins. Then WRITE each sentence on the lines below.     

the dog was eating his food in the kitchen the cat was eating his food in the kitchen.  (this isn't the sentences I can't remember them).

1) Lina CAN'T read  (she knows several site words only--the, and, I, me, you, get, cat, dog, then there are some that she will see & know them but then see them again & not have a clue.)

2) Lina CAN'T write her letters properly to do this.

An example of math:

They say to match the coin amount to the number it represents by drawing a line from one to the other.

1) 1quarter, 1dime, 6pennies    then in the next column will be the number .41C or shown as $0.41.  Now Lina knows most of her numbers & is proud she can count to 100, by 1's, & 10's and can tell you most of them that she sees. She does NOT know the amount of each coin but a penny. We tell her what each coin is and how many pennies are in it, that is the only way she comprehends what is there. She knows that getting a "big money" is better than getting a "little money" but she believes that getting 6 pennies is more than getting 1 quarter. She also has trouble understanding that a dime has more pennies in it than a nickle because of the size.

What do you think of a teacher sending home work that a child isn't capable of doing at this time? I have seen only a couple of sheets that have come home that are like these and it is clear that someone told her what the coins added up to because there will be a small number writen above the coins. With the writing it is the same thing someone told her what to write letter by letter even writing the letter for her in places.

I think it is time to sit in on the class. If my presence becomes too disruptive I will leave but I'm getting real concerned. I fear that they may try to tell me that she needs to be in general ed, & I know that she could not in any fashion do the work of a 3 or 4th grader. I know that moving a child way sooner than they should be is something that schools do because it looks good for the district when results go to the state, it makes it look like their program & teachers are fantastic.               

Venting because dh said something that ticked me off and made me think even harder about all of this.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I would still have a talk to the Special Education teacher and possibly the Special Education supervisor regarding Lina's classroom placement. It does not sound like a perfect match for her abilities. It could be that she is sending home the same homework to all of the students in the classroom regardless of ability. It should be structured according to ability and the I.E.P. You might want to read http://www.wrightslaw.com/ before the meeting. You might also want to talk to an advocate which you might be able to find through TheARC (http://www.thearc.org/).

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

gma12.1
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Thank you I'm going to check out both sites before I make arrangements to go to her classroom. After that I will know more about which direction to go. I did find the school phsycologist be understanding and helpful when I spoke with her before she might also be someone to talk to, I'll have to think on that.

The Twins

sammygrl77
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:15 PM
I don't have experience with this, but it doesn't seem right. You should talk to tge teacher and find out why they are giving her work she is not ready for.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Punkslilncs
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I get mad that his teacher keeps sending us notes about my son and his failing site words and hand writting, they have him main streamed which I hate. They basically are like OHHHH Leith is so behind and I'm like yes I know but what am I to do.. well you can read and do his home work, as if we don't?? I mean we read about 20 books a day.. then the stupid site words and the counting and so forth and now they have this homework packet. HELLO??? my son is 5 and ADHD as well as Autistic.. getting him to sit still for the words and asking him words he doesn't know seems kinda pointless to me reading him books while he really isn't paying attention is fine I hope he gets something in.. but all this extra makes me wanna scream I have another child... do they know that??? Do they care?? It's pointless cause my son just sits there and cries cause he can't do it and I feel like crying right along with him, but I try to encourage him and it just is so frusterating. 

Punkslilncs
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I would write a letter to her in a foreign language, and expect a response and if she didn't I would start calling the principal and when she was like this is a foreign language how am I meant to know what it is on it to even start to address the problem I would say MY POINT EXACTLY! Lina can't read what you want her to do let alone comprehend it so how can she do it?

gma12.1
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:21 PM

WTH?! Why are they doing all that with a 5 year old? I can understand learning numbers, letters, how to write them, even some site words but homework? That is just crazy. Good Luck!

Quoting Punkslilncs:

I get mad that his teacher keeps sending us notes about my son and his failing site words and hand writting, they have him main streamed which I hate. They basically are like OHHHH Leith is so behind and I'm like yes I know but what am I to do.. well you can read and do his home work, as if we don't?? I mean we read about 20 books a day.. then the stupid site words and the counting and so forth and now they have this homework packet. HELLO??? my son is 5 and ADHD as well as Autistic.. getting him to sit still for the words and asking him words he doesn't know seems kinda pointless to me reading him books while he really isn't paying attention is fine I hope he gets something in.. but all this extra makes me wanna scream I have another child... do they know that??? Do they care?? It's pointless cause my son just sits there and cries cause he can't do it and I feel like crying right along with him, but I try to encourage him and it just is so frusterating. 

The Twins

TommyAbby
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:22 AM

What was their reasoning for mainstreaming him? 

I would ask for a reassesment to see if he is in a classroom that he shouldn't be in. 

The homework doesn't surprise me. Both of my DS kids have been getting homework since they started school. 

Quoting Punkslilncs:

Mi_Chelly
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:37 AM
This year we had that issue with my son's general ed class. He is 4th grade this year but sitting more around end of 1st grade beginning of 2nd grade level. It is state law required all 4th grades start learning Idaho history and science. Science I wasn't worried about as it was animals and sea life (one of his current obsessions). The history was geared for regular 4th graders. Even with four kids from the special ed class in her room, she still sent home worksheets (required to do) that he was unable to do. I sent a note to both his special ed and general ed teachers informing them of the trouble he was having. The special ed teacher agreed but the gen ed just stated it was required. After both sped and I getting no where with the gen ed teacher, I took it to the principal. It was fixed right away. Also, do to issues of my son refusing to do homework most nights (full out two hour meltdown/tantrum), his sped teacher agreed to help him with his gen ed homework in her class.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Punkslilncs
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:01 AM

They said they were worried about him mimicking activities done by people who were more impaired. I really think they didn't wanna bother with the funding. 

Quoting TommyAbby:

I would ask for a reassesment to see if he is in a classroom that he shouldn't be in. 

The homework doesn't surprise me. Both of my DS kids have been getting homework since they started school. 

Quoting Punkslilncs:

TommyAbby
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:37 AM

I would pretty much demand a meeting with the school psychologist, your SC, and yourself to discuss your concerns. And then demand a Functional Assesment. That would be your proof that he needs to be in a different class and with your SO with you also documenting everything, they won't put up too much of a fight. 

Quoting Punkslilncs:

They said they were worried about him mimicking activities done by people who were more impaired. I really think they didn't wanna bother with the funding. 

Quoting TommyAbby:

Quoting Punkslilncs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)