Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Hello! Need some advice about my toddler

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:19 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hello. My name is Velvet and I am a mom of a 2 year old with special needs.

I know that might be young but I have her in early intervention and they say that so far she has sensory and behavior issues but they won't successfully be able to "label" her until she is 4 or 5. I am hoping to avoid the labeling altogether but I know that might not be possible because we have various different mental health issues and special needs issues in my family.

So far with her special instructor and speech therapist, we have been doing time outs for the last 2 months. For some reason, she is getting far worse. So today I talked to her speech therapist when she came and I will talk to her special instructor tomorrow. I want to try positive reinforcement. She explained how that works and what it will take and I am ready. We have decided what to do as far as the positive. Example maybe give her a gummy bear every time she does something good or clap (because she likes when you clap when she does something good) but besides time outs, what can I do when she does something negative? She said we should try signs but I am not so sure that is going to work with my 2 year old although I am willing to try.

Thanks!

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jld4
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Have you met w/an OT? They can help w/sensory ideas...brushing, calming bottles, etc... We use an interactive chart. They earn stars/points and they can earn a "bigger prize" w/smaller prizes built in.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!  Glad you are here:)  I would actually have her evaluated by a developmental pediatrician to be honest.

Kenre
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:42 AM
I dont know. Each child is different. My oldest is a pile of mush with just a few words and my toddler needs a tap. My 3 year old learns from timeouts. All different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
briellesmomma
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Quoting Jld4:

Have you met w/an OT? They can help w/sensory ideas...brushing, calming bottles, etc... We use an interactive chart. They earn stars/points and they can earn a "bigger prize" w/smaller prizes built in.

I have been trying to get the prescription from her dr forever. Ugh. She (the dr) is driving me bonkers. But she is supposed to see a OT for her sensory and some of the behavior issues. The program has limited OTs so finding one was hard and her dr has been on bereavement since some time around Octoberish so I can finally go get the script.

briellesmomma
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Welcome to the group!  Glad you are here:)  I would actually have her evaluated by a developmental pediatrician to be honest.

Thank you! Hmmm.... Ive never heard of a developmental pedi. Ill try to look one up. Thank you!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Welcome to the group! These ladies have some wonderful advice. I would for sure look into a developmental pedi.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:33 AM

my youngest is almost 3 and sounds about the same way. He gets ot, pt, and developmental therapy. it does help alot and they have a ton of ideas to make home life easier. For example, he hates being washed in the bathtub. He'll sit there and play forever but when its time to wash he goes absolutely ballistic. I finally talked to his ot today and she suggested using his sensory brush in the bathtub and even try soap on it if he would tolerate it. And it worked!! he screamed the second i told him it was time to wash and stopped instantly when he saw his brush. He even helped wash himself for the first time and got out of the tub totally chill. it was amazing.

all that to say, push for an ot. And definitly get that developmental eval. Ride your dr if you have to. We even switched doctors because their office wouldn't get their paperwork together to get a referral for my oldest to get evaled.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Quoting briellesmomma:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Thank you! Hmmm.... Ive never heard of a developmental pedi. Ill try to look one up. Thank you!

They are awesome!  They specialize in neuro-developmental pediatrics...my son has one and she's awesome!  Hugs mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN