Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Am I a paranoid mom?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM
  • 12 Replies
My other 2 children were very healthy as babies...however with Journey I have been through so much in these past 5 months that I think I may start to be a "paranoid" mom. Or at least that's what it seems the doctors think of me. The past few times I thought something was very serious it was "typical" for a baby with Down Syndrome...so I'm going to get your advice since the doctors don't seem to think it is that important. Journey has been "odd" yesterday and today, he's been slightly warm and crying alot more than usual. He seems very exhausted and just doesn't seem his lovable playful self. He has just vomited all over me and I just checked his temperature and it was 100.4 in his axillary. His face is red and he kinda seems in a daze...He also is breathing heavy but that isn't much different since he's been born. I just don't want to call and bring him to the hospital again for hours just for them to tell me its "typical". Am I being paranoid? Any ideas on how to make my baby better?
CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM
He could be a little sick or be teething, maybe try some Tylenol and a nice bath and see if he feels better?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dawncs
by Dawn on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM

It is difficult having a disabled child, and it is every difficult when they are sick. You worry about them more than their normal siblings. It comes in handy being a part of a support group both on the internet and also in your local community to learn from others. I will include some helpful resources for you.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I was in the same situation as you -- two very healthy kids and then my baby with Down syndrome was born. He had heart defects, but seemed pretty healthy, until 5 1/2 mos when he got RSV. That was a nightmare and we almost lost him.  After that, he had chronic bouts of pneumonia until his heart repair.  It's hard not to be "paranoid" or as I think of it, hyper-vigilant!  

I would say if he is vomitting, and has a temp, he may be getting sick.  Couple that with the breathing and I would be concerned, but like I said, we dealt with chronic pulmonary issues, so I was always overly cautious (and thankfully our Pediatrician took no risks with Alex either).  By axiillary, you mean under his arm, correct?  In general, those temps can run a little low (on average 0.5-1.0 degrees lower than oral temp).  So, I would keep an eye on his temp, too, since it could actually be closer to 101.  I would take him in to the doctor tomorrow if e fever is not down and he is still vomitting or if other symptoms pop up.  Hopefully it turns out to be nothing, but I think it's better to have it checked out than wait too long and have him get really sick and end up hospitalized or something.  Hang in there!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I know it may seem like you are paranoid, but with our special guys, you cant be over cautious. That's what I've learned. I say better safe than sorry. Hope he feels better soon!

susan115
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:51 PM

My 16 yr. old has down syndrome, please take your child to the doctor.  Vomiting is not good.  My child was always alittle hotter when little.  Please keep us posted.

aviatioNation
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I don't think you're being paranoid. When my son was 9 months old he had symptoms similar to what you're describing (red face, vomiting, low grade fever, excessive crying) and when I took him to the doctor it turned out he had pneumonia.

sammygrl77
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM
I don't think you are being paranoid. Sounds like he is sick and needs to be seen.

One of my kids was 4 and I knew something was off. It was more than just a cold. Over 2 days time to an ER visit, then doctor, then a 2nd ER visit and he finally tested positive for RSV and was admitted. I felt like a paranoid mom, but I learned to trust my gut.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:32 AM

You are right mama...trust your heart and instincts...take him to the doctor to be checked out.  Hugs!

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM

if he's running a fever and throwing up, he may have the flu. Tis the season. I would definitely get him seen, but shoot for the first after lunch appointment. Less people in the waiting room to share sickness with him.

my dr thinks i'm paranoid too. My youngest has pulminary issues and I take him in everytime he gets to coughing and wheezing, as my pulminary dr tells us. Our dr tended to shrug us off. until last time when I made them do a chest xray and he had bronchitus. Stand your ground. Its better to be paranoid and wrong then miss something and regret it.

Bellum
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Trust your gut- the doctors have sometimes blown off my concerns, but my gut is rarely wrong, and nearly perfect when it comes to important things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)