Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Autism and trying new foods

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:41 PM
  • 34 Replies

My high functioning autistic child will not try any new foods. I need advice from moms who have been through this. I've been putting food on her plate for years and she won't try carrot sticks or spinach leaves for example. I'm really tired of this and I'm sure you guys are tired of the topic of this post but I don't know what to do. I'm tired of trying to hide veggies in her food and really you only get so many veggies when they are hidden. She just will not try anything new. Please feel free to share recipies, tips..whatever. It will be appreciated. Thanks

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:45 PM
I gave a few question.
Is your daughter unhealthy? Does your doctor have concerns? How old is she? What fruits if any does she eat? Does she eat any veggies?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AylinsMom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:51 PM

No, she's pretty healthy and very active...too active. The doc doesn't have any concerns so far at her 4 yr check up in Oct. She will eat bananas, raisins and sometimes apples and rarely orange slices. She eats sweet potatoes and that's kind of it for veggies. I put butter nut squash in her pancakes but that's kind of pointless because she won't eat all of her pancake and you only get so many veggies when you hide them. She will eat nothing green except pickles. I don't get that at all. She LOVES cheese. I also give her V8 fusion/light veggie juice and veggie infused pasta. Suddenly as of last year she hates tomato sauce. God, help me.

Quoting SamMom912:

I gave a few question.
Is your daughter unhealthy? Does your doctor have concerns? How old is she? What fruits if any does she eat? Does she eat any veggies?

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:58 PM
2 moms liked this

We went to a feeding therapist a few years ago. My HFA aspie is very picky as well. Her suggestion was to bring my son to the grocery store and have him pick out a new food each week. His choice, his food. At first new food could be anything... she suggested to suggest he chose things SIMILAR in taste or texture to a food he already eats.. for example.. a bagel is the same consistancy as a soft pretzel... so, buy soft pretzels.
bring home the new food... first day just play with it. touch it. explore it with fingers only. 2nd day smell it.. talk about what it smells like.. and maybe play with it again, maybe make a face with peices, etc. 3rd day rub it on tounge... but eating it isnt necessary... again, smell, and play... day 4, eat, smell, play.. and day 5 eat, smell, play. If on day 6 is it decided it isnt liked... then chose a new food at grocery store.
After a few "wins"... and a few positive experiences help your DD move to veggies or some other new fruits. If your daughter likes high taste foods like pickles.. try pepperoni, sausage, other high in flavor foods and avoid the bland nothings that she doesnt enjoy... know what I mean?? help this to be a success by building on her likes...

Can I ask another few questions:
Does she just refuse to try? It is an anxiety based fear? Just a refusal out of control? If you push to hard, does she melt down? Because I would say, if she is healthy and the doctor isnt having any concerns right now may not be the time to stretch her diet. If she is healthy and happy and this causes melt downs, power struggles and all and all discomfort between the 2 of you, then adding a few veggies to her repitoire may not be as important as not enduring the stress and discomfort of a meltdown.

As she gets older, has more tolerance for frustration, is more verbal and empowered she will venture into new foods. My guy is 6 now... and yes, is still VERY picky... but occassionally he will try something new on his terms, happily. I was the SAME way as a kid. and now I eat sushi, veggies, fruits... sweetbreads, octopus.... lots of different and interesting things...

letstalk747
by Joy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:08 PM

my son is the same way he is 12

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I would blend the veggies into sauces. To introduce them. Also there are a ton of recipes on pinterest that takes healthy foods, and makes them fun looking, and makes kids want to eat them.

Also lead by example. If you are passing up on veggies every meal, she will see that. Good luck!

AylinsMom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Bingo..it's refusal out of control and food isn't the only thing she tries to control these days. lol These are all great suggestions by the way ! I'm going to cut, paste and copy this post (if I can) and try this tomorrow. THANK YOU ! I'm not sure if it's the right time or not though. If I don't get her to try new foods then we will be on this roller coaster forever but if I push too hard she will just hate everything. Thanks again !

Quoting SamMom912:

We went to a feeding therapist a few years ago. My HFA aspie is very picky as well. Her suggestion was to bring my son to the grocery store and have him pick out a new food each week. His choice, his food. At first new food could be anything... she suggested to suggest he chose things SIMILAR in taste or texture to a food he already eats.. for example.. a bagel is the same consistancy as a soft pretzel... so, buy soft pretzels.
bring home the new food... first day just play with it. touch it. explore it with fingers only. 2nd day smell it.. talk about what it smells like.. and maybe play with it again, maybe make a face with peices, etc. 3rd day rub it on tounge... but eating it isnt necessary... again, smell, and play... day 4, eat, smell, play.. and day 5 eat, smell, play. If on day 6 is it decided it isnt liked... then chose a new food at grocery store.
After a few "wins"... and a few positive experiences help your DD move to veggies or some other new fruits. If your daughter likes high taste foods like pickles.. try pepperoni, sausage, other high in flavor foods and avoid the bland nothings that she doesnt enjoy... know what I mean?? help this to be a success by building on her likes...

Can I ask another few questions:
Does she just refuse to try? It is an anxiety based fear? Just a refusal out of control? If you push to hard, does she melt down? Because I would say, if she is healthy and the doctor isnt having any concerns right now may not be the time to stretch her diet. If she is healthy and happy and this causes melt downs, power struggles and all and all discomfort between the 2 of you, then adding a few veggies to her repitoire may not be as important as not enduring the stress and discomfort of a meltdown.

As she gets older, has more tolerance for frustration, is more verbal and empowered she will venture into new foods. My guy is 6 now... and yes, is still VERY picky... but occassionally he will try something new on his terms, happily. I was the SAME way as a kid. and now I eat sushi, veggies, fruits... sweetbreads, octopus.... lots of different and interesting things...

AylinsMom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I have a cousin that eats nothing but hot dogs and has never touched a veggie. He's an accountant and has just come down with MS. I'm not sure if lack of veggies have anything to do with his new illness but it doesn't help.

Quoting letstalk747:

my son is the same way he is 12

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:52 AM
Hugs!!! No experience but good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:24 AM
I just have 3 more little things i want to share. One, is basic math...
Inflexible rigid child + inflexible rigid parent equals meltdown. Try to keep your daughter flexible by being flexible yourself.
If she is controlling, it is because she feels out if control. When there is a meltdown over an issue, realize that means no one won. You and your dd have both lost. She needs an empathetic team member who understands that for whatever reason, this is hard..
I know you think " ill b here forever if i cant get her to start eating." But that simply isnt true. If you try the feeding therapy, and do it for a month, and its not going well, take a month off and try again... I really recommend starting with "bad" foods.. Lol cereal, chips, just something to get the positive ball rolling. Message me if you have any questions... Hugs and good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I hope you find some answers. My son is 12 and I have never really allowed him to be picky so I am unfortunally no help. HUGS!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN