Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

School work********UPDATE

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

This morning I was talking to Lina's teacher about another things then we began to talk about what Lina is doing in school. I asked about the paper that she sent home and that Lina wasn't able to do it. I don't like to do the homework for her and telling her the answers then telling her what to write isn't teaching her anything. Well I found out that Lina is classified as currently being in K-A & will be moving to K-B before the month is over. Teacher reads short stories to the kids then they talk about it. Teacher is planning to read the beginning & middle of a story and having the kids WRITE 1 sentence for the end of the story. Do general ed K kids write sentences? Lina is working on learning to read, she knows some site words and there are some small words that she has learned to sound out (which I love) which are now site words, but she can't do that with words that are more tha 1 syllable. I am hoping that the teacher really isn't giving the kids things above their heads, but it sure seems like it We also talked about some of the things that Lina has been doing in school behavior wise. Seems little miss quiet and nice has been quietly irriating the kids sitting next to her until they get loud. Well since the kids don't verbalize the whole incident the Teacher was more often than not telling the victim to be nice to Lina. Teacher is going to keep more of an eye on "the quiet one". Teacher has begun to notice a new physical behavior, Lina is shaking her hands epecially when she gets excited or anxious about something. Teacher is going to keep watching because I told her that Lina is showing behaviors her that are more aggressive than she ever has been. I asked about coming in to see what Lina & the class is up to.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
willysmama
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I remember doing something like that in kindergarten. Willy is starting to have some work like that. But we are given a list of sight words to use and he can pick out the words. My nephews are "typical" they are working on the same stuff in their classes.

gma12.1
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

After I go to the school and see what Lina does at school and compare it to what she is doing at home then I can decide for sure if I am over re-acting or not. Lina has a hard time remembering things and requires a lot of repetion before she can retain anything. It's like once her brain has it, it doesn't want to give it up at all.

The Twins

letstalk747
by Joy on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM

keep in mind kids can act out at school because they are overwhelmed overstimulated , and may not be this way at home

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:41 PM

we homeschool but I do have my kids write sentences too. they're 6 and 4.

gma12.1
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Quoting letstalk747:

keep in mind kids can act out at school because they are overwhelmed overstimulated , and may not be this way at home

She acts out more at home, or I should say she isn't quite as quiet about what she does at home. I think she is getting overwhelmed & overstimulated. She also seems to get more anxious when even small things are out of routine. I am wondering if the school routine is changing too much for her.  

The Twins

gma12.1
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Quoting arkansasmama08:

we homeschool but I do have my kids write sentences too. they're 6 and 4.

Do you write the sentence then have them copy it, or do you tell them the sentence and have them write it?

The Twins

sammygrl77
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not sure on what is normal work for that grade. Ok, honestly no grades:(

I hope you can find answers by sitting in on class.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN