Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

holy Meltdown Batman!!

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:28 PM
  • 13 Replies

My kids have been "normal" all day, no problems at all. Then the behaviorist called, said she was in town, and wanted to see if she could come over and observe and talk with me. Sure, why not? So we were sitting at the table talking and the kids were playing and doing pretty good. Maggie wanted the moon dough so I let her get it out. A little bit later I told her it was time to put it up and she needed to pick up what she had dropped on the floor. She told me no. I told her she could either pick it up or go to time out. She refused either so I put her in timeout. She sat there and screamed and stomped her feet and basically went insane. Now, this happens once in a blue moon so I picked her up and hugged her, only thing that calms her. In a minute or two she was ok, i told her she had disobeyed and needed a timeout. She said yes ma'am. I sat her down and she started screaming again. I told her to stop or go to her room. She ignored me so I picked her up and took her to her room. As soon as I shut the door she was at it hitting and kicking it and screaming some more.

I have never seen her this way before. she's pretty mellow. She gets overstimulated and a little wired sometimes, but she has never been combative or violent. I just wanted to cry :(  At least I can say the kid has great timing and somebody else was there to see it. i worry sometimes that people think I'm crazy because their problems aren't necessarily obvious all the time :(

ladybug

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AylinsMom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Well...my daughter wanted a cookie instead of dinner and she was told "NO". She kept pushing her plate back to my side of the table. Then she tried to get into the locked fridge (locked because she keeps playing in the fridge) and wanted cheese, her favorite food. She again was told no. SO.....the crying began and then she REALLY pushed her plate throwing things off the table. I tried to put her in a time out and away from the kitchen atmosphere. I put her in her room and stayed with her while the door was closed to let her calm down. Well....she opened the door and went into the bathroom and threw her potty seat on the bathroom floor. Then I put her back in the room and she throws clothes and books and the attacks me by pulling my hair really hard and taking my barettes out. She was INSANE at this point so I said: "lets hug" and she sat on my lap and calmed down for a few minutes. BUT then she remembers what she is mad at and starts going insane AGAIN. Then I sing the "clean up" song and she picks up the clothes and books. My husband came home from work and so we went back in the kitchen. She still did not get a cookie. She still did not eat dinner. My head hurts...my 4 year old beat me up. LOL I feel your pain ! I'm not sure if I made any progress at all with my kid. She has ASD and is a picky eater. I gotta put my foot down though. P.S. I told her "we don't throw plates, clothes or books and we don't pull mommy's hair" Gee...I wonder how many episodes of this insanity must we repeat until she learns.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Wow mama. I'm sorry :(. Maggie has never been violent or this defiant before. I sure pray it won't be the new norm.
By the way, I tried to put her back in time out and she says "not without my blanket@ and stares me down! Excuse me? Insane.
I'll pray for you if you'll pray for me! Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:52 PM
I am so sorry, my DS is on about a 768th episode and hasn't learned, so I can only pray you have better successs!

Quoting AylinsMom:

Well...my daughter wanted a cookie instead of dinner and she was told "NO". She kept pushing her plate back to my side of the table. Then she tried to get into the locked fridge (locked because she keeps playing in the fridge) and wanted cheese, her favorite food. She again was told no. SO.....the crying began and then she REALLY pushed her plate throwing things off the table. I tried to put her in a time out and away from the kitchen atmosphere. I put her in her room and stayed with her while the door was closed to let her calm down. Well....she opened the door and went into the bathroom and threw her potty seat on the bathroom floor. Then I put her back in the room and she throws clothes and books and the attacks me by pulling my hair really hard and taking my barettes out. She was INSANE at this point so I said: "lets hug" and she sat on my lap and calmed down for a few minutes. BUT then she remembers what she is mad at and starts going insane AGAIN. Then I sing the "clean up" song and she picks up the clothes and books. My husband came home from work and so we went back in the kitchen. She still did not get a cookie. She still did not eat dinner. My head hurts...my 4 year old beat me up. LOL I feel your pain ! I'm not sure if I made any progress at all with my kid. She has ASD and is a picky eater. I gotta put my foot down though. P.S. I told her "we don't throw plates, clothes or books and we don't pull mommy's hair" Gee...I wonder how many episodes of this insanity must we repeat until she learns.

AylinsMom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM

LOL !

Quoting Marti123:

I am so sorry, my DS is on about a 768th episode and hasn't learned, so I can only pray you have better successs!

Quoting AylinsMom:

Marti123
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Poor Maggie, I hope it was just an off day for her.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM

*hugs* I have days where dd is a terror for me, but an angel for everyone else, so when she meltdown in front of someone else, it's always nice!

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:34 PM

thanks ladies. I have another question so I'll just throw it here instead of starting a new post lol.

we were going over the questionaire i did for maggie and the one her therapists did. Some of them lined up and some of our answers were opposite. She said that was a little strange. She also said she had never had a kid score so high for autistic behavior before and thought that was odd. I'm really getting nervous these people are going to accuse me of making this stuff up. I really hate those questionaires anyway. its all perspective. Its my take on her behaviors vs a therapist she sees for 30 minutes once a week. If they lined up exactly, that would be odd to me. Any body else have that problem?

letstalk747
by Joy on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM

whoa , yeah , some , i scored my kid higher , than any of the staff that worked with him

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM

See, I would think that would be normal. But I think we as parents tend to focus more on the negative since that's what we have to deal the most often. Know what I mean? But, she really seemed to doubt me. I'm hoping the meltdown she saw will help, but I'm afraid she took it as more of a temper tantrum than anything. :(

Quoting letstalk747:

whoa , yeah , some , i scored my kid higher , than any of the staff that worked with him

ladybug

gma12.1
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I hope that things are better for you & Maggie.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN