Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Siezures

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM
  • 16 Replies

Well Tuesday morning started off not so good. My granddaughter was having another siezure, but not just one, she had 5 and 3 were so much different then the first 2. I took her in to the er and she had another wierd  one then she went into a full blown grand. So they admitted her and we were there until late Wednesday night. She is now on siezure medications and so far doing well on them.

By singlemotherof8

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AliKatAK47
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM
As an epileptic I feel her pain. I had a prolonged grand mal last week that led to about 3 more. Please give her a hug for me. It is not easy. Do you know what exact condition she has?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Koltie6
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM
We have been down this road with my 6 year old son since he was 2.We controlled them with the first meds Keppra for about 2years. Then his liver was unable to metabolize the Keppra and it caused more seizures.we finally were blessed to find a brain surgeon in Austin Texas who specializes in this . He found my son does not absorb folic acid and put him on leucovorin which is folinic acid and so far no more seizures.there are many reasons for seizures and not all neurologist. Have this knowledge..Ask a lot if questions do a lot of research so many children have seizures now almost epidemic someone needs to figure out what's causing this. Good lunch to you
letstalk747
by Joy on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:42 PM

sorry to hear this

mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Glad they were able to get her on some medication.

lucasmadre
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Poor thing, I am so sorry. Did they figure out why or what is going on. Did she have an MRI? I can't imagine how frightened you were, I am an epileptic myself and it is so frightening for everyone involved. Hope she is feeling better soon.

AliKatAK47
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:20 PM
This sounds like what happened to me as a child. Do you know what condition he has?

Quoting Koltie6:

We have been down this road with my 6 year old son since he was 2.We controlled them with the first meds Keppra for about 2years. Then his liver was unable to metabolize the Keppra and it caused more seizures.we finally were blessed to find a brain surgeon in Austin Texas who specializes in this . He found my son does not absorb folic acid and put him on leucovorin which is folinic acid and so far no more seizures.there are many reasons for seizures and not all neurologist. Have this knowledge..Ask a lot if questions do a lot of research so many children have seizures now almost epidemic someone needs to figure out what's causing this. Good lunch to you
sammygrl77
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM
((Hugs))
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:36 PM
I'm so sorry. My son had daily seizures for years- it's so scary! *HUGS*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momgirlsx2
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM

My 8yr old dd has seizures as well, she's had them since she was 14 months old. She has full convuslive and focal seizures, as well as periods of altered mental status. The first medication they put her on caused her to have horrible behavior. They changed it and the medication she's on now seems to be controlling the convulsive seizures. She still has the focal seizures but I can handle those.

Hope the medication works for her. Do they know what is causing her seizures?

gma12.1
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM

I know how scary it can be. Has she had seizures before? Does the Dr have any idea what might be causing them? What kind of medication did they send her home with? Lina is on Keppra 17.5ml every 12 hours (6 & 6).

I started writing this and had to stop because Lina decided to have a grand mal at 10:41 p.m. that lasted for almost 5 minutes. I had to administer the DiaStat because of the length of time but also because her lips had begun to turn blue. She is asleep now, relaxed, breathing normally. I hate to say that I've gotten used to them because I really haven't but I am able to stay calm and take care of everything then I'm awake for a couple of hours making sure she is okay. Makes for a real long night.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)