Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

daughter with cataract

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM
  • 10 Replies
My daughter was born with congenital cataract in the left eye. Just wanted to say i wish i knew about this site then because i had no support at the time, i felt so alone. I was confused, worried and stressed out. You ladies are awesome, i feel at home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenniL05
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Oh wow. I randomly came across this on my home page. My 6 year old was born with the same thing! If you need advice let me know. My son has been through 4 surgeries already!
sammygrl77
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree the ladies here are all so awsome and supportive.
naj2013
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Thanks, my daughter had 2 surgeries so far, she's three years old in 2 weeks. Is your son wearing contacts or glasses? My dd has in contacts, she'll be getting the permanent ones when she gets older....to »»» jenni
JenniL05
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:23 PM
My son wears glasses, he's 6 now and in kindergarten. His doctor wants him wearing glasses for protection. His cataract had blinded him since birth and he has very limited vision in that eye so he needs all the protection he can get!
JenniL05
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:26 PM
We had talked about contacts originally but they're just not the best fit for him. Did your daughter have the lens replaced in her eye yet or did they do it all at once? My son had his lens removed at 7 months and it wasn't replaced until he was 4. He has also had 2 strabismus surgeries to straighten the eye muscles.
naj2013
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Oh ok.... We just have to be there for them, i dont want my dd to feel different or feel she don't belong... I wish you and your son the best!
JenniL05
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Thanks you too! My husband was born with the same and is blind in one eye so he knows how it is. Luckily I wear glasses and my son's best friend in school wears glasses so he loves them! I also work in an optical shop so I get him super cool frames. :)
naj2013
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:35 PM
They did it all at once, the contacts are a bit much, she cries sometimes when i have to put it in. I'm still thinking if i should get her glasses, i have some time to think about it

Quoting JenniL05:

We had talked about contacts originally but they're just not the best fit for him. Did your daughter have the lens replaced in her eye yet or did they do it all at once? My son had his lens removed at 7 months and it wasn't replaced until he was 4. He has also had 2 strabismus surgeries to straighten the eye muscles.

naj2013
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Oh wow, atleast your husband can understand, its bitter sweet and you work in an optical shop, awesome!

Quoting JenniL05:

Thanks you too! My husband was born with the same and is blind in one eye so he knows how it is. Luckily I wear glasses and my son's best friend in school wears glasses so he loves them! I also work in an optical shop so I get him super cool frames. :)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome mama!  Glad you are here:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)