Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeding

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM
  • 9 Replies
My four year old will not feed herself with a spoon. She has the ability to do so. She just chooses not to. Every morning she insists on me feeding her her oatmeal (she won't eat anything else for breakfast) She will whine uncontrollably if I tell her no so I just do it. And in between bites, she whines if I don't get her the next bite fast enough. She makes this high pitched whine sound. It drives me nuts most days. Does anyone else have to do this??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
letstalk747
by Joy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM

welcome , im joy ,

no , i have not had to do this

sammygrl77
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Oh yes with my youngest. We started giving her one bite, then making her do a couple. She isn't one for rewards and is very stubborn. She's my child that really will starve herself. So the slow push to independence worked great for her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM

We are still working on self feeding with my son who is 7.  He is doing a lot better, but it was definitely a struggle for the longest time.  He didn't want to eat, let alone feed himself.  Now he likes to eat, but still struggles with coordination of self feeding and getting/keeping enough food in his mouth when he does it himself, so we are still working on it.  Hang in there!  We took him to an intensive feeding clinic almost 2 years ago.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM

No. My son won't eat from a spoon at all.

gma12.1
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Even after learning how to use a spoon she still wanted me to feed her because she kept spilling it or just didn't want to. I don't remember what we did to get her to even try using a spoon. She would whine and fuss if someone besides me fed her. She is 9 now and will feed herself with a spoon she can't use a fork and she has begun using her fingers again to eat and has to be told to use her spoon.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

CameronsMommy23
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:16 AM

We have to keep on our 7 yr old son during meals or else he will eat with his hands. I think it's just easier for him.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:03 AM

Nope, my son will only eat if I feed him.  He doesn't know how to feed himself.

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM
We are working on self feeding with the almost 9 year old. He's so stubborn about using spoons too! I just refuse to feed home and insist that he take bites. We clap or hug when he does it right or at least tries. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
willysmama
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM

We are struggling with this as well. My son is 8 years old. He will do good for a while than stop. We feed him a bite and make him do it by himself for 3 bites and it continues increasing as to the number of bites he feeds himself when he feels comfortable enough.  After he puts a bite in his mouth we help him scoop up the next bite and have it ready to be brought up to his mouth. Otherwise its a scream feast during meal times. My son needs help getting it to his mouth but is doing a lot better

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)