Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Does anyone know

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM
  • 6 Replies

...anything about visual acuity in younger kids.  My son apparently had his vision tested last week at school and they sent home a letter that they are concerned about his scores.  They were 10/32 for each eye.  I am not sure what that indicates?  I tried to look it up and all I could really find was that they use 10/ for younger kids, instead if 20/ for adults.  I need to make him an eye appt to see an Opthamoligist (something I have been meaning to do and just never getting around to for a while).  In the meantime, does anyone know how bad this score might be or what it indicates?  

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I have no clue! Here's a bump!

owenmom
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not sure about that score. My son couldn't tell them the answers at school for the eye test. He goes to an opthamologist, Owen got his glasses at 5 years old. His eyesight is pretty bad and we never noticed until he started using the lab top more. Owen is farsighted(can't see close up) he should be at a +5 dr started him off at +2.75 to get him use to it and let his eyes work a bit to see if they would get better. We were just there last week and he went up +3.50 for 1 eye and +3.00 for the other plus not he has astigmatism so that will also be in his glasses script. Most kids with Down syndrome need glasses. It took Owen a bit to get use to them and now he is good with them. I would take him just because you can't be so sure about school if he actually answered them right. Good luck keep us posted

sammygrl77
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM
I'm not sure, sorry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gma12.1
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this

When Lina was tested at school they didn't send a test result home they suggested that she see the opthomologist. They did tell me that with sn kids it can be difficult to get an accurate reading as they may not be able to give the answers or know the objects. Lina had trouble at the eye dr because they had a couple of pictures of things she had never seen before. Have him see the eye dr but don't worry yourself crazy about it. If he needs glasses then he needs glasses but you also might find out that there isn't anything major going on there.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Thanks Ladies.  I do know that vision issues are very common in kids with DS.  It is something that has been on my to do list for a long time and just keep putting it off because there always seems to be something else going on.  I also know that the screenings they do at school are merely screenings and can definitely be impacted by communication as well as cognitive difficulties.  I am going to make him an appt today with a pediatric ophthalmologist who has been highly recommended by a few people in my area with kids with SN.  

I did find something online that indicated that 10/32 is low range of normal, but again, who knows how accurate the school screening is.  I guess this is just the kick in the butt I needed to finally get him in for this appt!  LOL

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Thank you.  

Wow, your little guys eyesight must be pretty bad.  I am near sighted and I think my numbers are right around where his are, but in the negative, and I can't see much without my glasses/contacts!

I havent had much reason to be concerned, but who can really tell, right?  He does sit close to the TV sometimes and my MIL was saying it would ruin his eyesight.  But, my BIL (who is a Neurologist) pointed out that it may actually indicate an already existing issue, that maybe he sits close BECAUSE he can't see well.  But, at other times he sits across the room and watches.  I know he likes to interact with his favorite shows, so it may mean nothing!  I guess only the Opthamoligist will be able to answer that question.  I do think he is at a good age if he needs them, to actually wear them.  He is less "stubborn" these days!

Quoting owenmom:

I am not sure about that score. My son couldn't tell them the answers at school for the eye test. He goes to an opthamologist, Owen got his glasses at 5 years old. His eyesight is pretty bad and we never noticed until he started using the lab top more. Owen is farsighted(can't see close up) he should be at a +5 dr started him off at +2.75 to get him use to it and let his eyes work a bit to see if they would get better. We were just there last week and he went up +3.50 for 1 eye and +3.00 for the other plus not he has astigmatism so that will also be in his glasses script. Most kids with Down syndrome need glasses. It took Owen a bit to get use to them and now he is good with them. I would take him just because you can't be so sure about school if he actually answered them right. Good luck keep us posted

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN