Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Help me? My poor son.

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM
  • 20 Replies

My son is 3 1/2. He was born 1 month early with a few minor complications (swallowed meconium & a hematoma on his head). 

Since birth he's been advanced on his developmental milestones except speech. He has a speech delay but recently made some gains with therapy. 

He's always been an active and fussy child. Very aggressive tantrums with little warning. Recently saw an Occupational therapist who said he's got a lot of sensory areas he's sensitive in (suggesting a sensory disorder or something like autism). He has a full developmental evaluation soon (for austim, sensory processing disorder, or other developmental problem). 

He has SEVERE allergies to most airborne things. He has asthma. He has a sensitivity to milk. 

My question: 

He's sick every 2-3 weeks for 1-3 weeks at a time. He basically ALWAYS got SOMETHING. Currently he has pink eye in both eyes, an ear infection, sinus infection, and respiratory virus/infection.....all at once. 

He has had everything. Bronchitis, Bronchiolitis, RSV, GI virus, stomach bugs, flu, pnuemonia (bacterial), pink eye, ear infections, sinus infections, upper respiratory infections, respiratory viruses, everyything. Generally multiple times a year. 

Why is he ALWAYS sick? What could cause that? I'm pushing for further allergy testing and then going to talk doctor into more testing, because I want to know why this boy is ALWAYS sick.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM
I don't have experience with that, but here's a Bump!
Have they tested his immune system?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicholy10
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM

No. How is that done? 

Quoting Elyssa414:

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM
I believe it's a blood test to check his immune response, and if its consistently low you could get IV Immunoglobulin, but I believe that's for pretty severe cases....

Quoting Nicholy10:

No. How is that done? 

Quoting Elyssa414:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMDS0304
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I have twins born at 27 weeks they are 8 now. Your child sounds a lot like my son. I will pm you shortly if that's ok!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM

It sounds like more testing needs to be done. I would switch drs if the one you have isn't willing to test further.

BKozICan
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Try taking out gluten as well as casein (dairy). Sounds a lot like my ds was/is. He missed about a week per month of preschool. Last year we went an entire winter with NO e.r. or urgent care visits for asthma. The one time he accidently got into goldfish crackers on a playdate, he ended up starting an attack about 18 hours later. His did not show up on allergy testing. Shrug. It has worked miracles for us.

Also, we added a fish oil gummy (over the counter, not specialty). Went from utterly non-verbal to speaking to me, dh, other son.

dawncs
by Dawn on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I used to get sick a lot until I went on the gluten free diet after being tested for a wheat allergy, and it came back positive. Gluten can be found in wheat, rye, barley, malt, and processed oats. I was sick for a longer period of time than normal because my intestines were inflammed and not enough nutrients meaning vitamins and minerals were getting through. I recommend getting your son tested with a gasterenterologist for Celiac's Disease. I have been on the diet for almost seven years now, and I have not regretted it since. I will give you some resources which may help you some with your son.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

Iamsweetypie
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I have Common Variable Immuno Deffiency (I do not produce immunoglobulins which are building blocks of the immune system). My son gets checked via bloodwork every 2 yrs for his titter levels. It is a break down of all the cells in the white cell line looking for deffiency's since milder forms of CVID can appear in my son. I would suggest asking for a refferral to an Immuniologist, Hematologist or Peditric Infectious Disease Dr and get the blood work done. If you need any furthur answers feel free to IM me.

Nicholy10
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:28 PM

One of those doctors were going to be my next demand if allergy testing doesn't show up anything more after we see an alllergist. Thank you! 

Quoting Iamsweetypie:

I have Common Variable Immuno Deffiency (I do not produce immunoglobulins which are building blocks of the immune system). My son gets checked via bloodwork every 2 yrs for his titter levels. It is a break down of all the cells in the white cell line looking for deffiency's since milder forms of CVID can appear in my son. I would suggest asking for a refferral to an Immuniologist, Hematologist or Peditric Infectious Disease Dr and get the blood work done. If you need any furthur answers feel free to IM me.

sammygrl77
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Good luck! Glad the other mommas had lots of information for you. Keep us updated
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN