Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does your kid use sign language

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM
  • 20 Replies

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Neither one does. But I sometimes sign to Jacob. He gets a kick out of it. Even though he has no clue what I'm saying.

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM
My son used it a bit when he was younger, before he became more verbal. He will ocassionally still sign some words as he speaks them, I guess put of habit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gma12.1
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Lina began to use signs but her fine motor skills didn't allow for a lot of signs. I would sign & say the words hoping that she wouldn't be so frustrated due to lack of communication. She became more verbal and stopped signing. I tried getting her to keep signing to work her hands to help with the fine motor skills. She stopped and refused to do any signing at all. She has begun signing again in the last 2 years, she loves it when Rachel Coleman? comes on NickJr and does her signing songs. Now with what signs we knew and the ones that we've learned from the show she has gotten where she will ask me how to sign something that I don't know so I have to look it up. She still has fine motor problems but she really tries to make the signs. Her OT likes that we do the signing she said that it does help with her fine motor skills.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Brady uses a few signs...but only when prompted to do so...not on his own.  

willysmama
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Willy uses a few signs and is learning more.

CameronsMommy23
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM
He did as a toddler. Now he doesn't though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trio8707
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Hayden knows some sign language but rarely uses them.

lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:10 AM

My son uses adaptive sign and if he is really trying to figure out something and wants something and wants you to know it and it is not on his pecs or talk box --he will make up a sign-lol!! and so we then the sign he made up--his fine motor skills (due to cp) is a little harder so we don't mind adaptive signs as long as he trying that is all that counts

He is 20 yrs old (almost) and non-verbal and he likes to learn sign!

lmevans
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Ara does use signs, it has actually helped her speech and ability to relay what she wants/needs. She even tries to make up her own signs.

She loves watching sign time on pbs and really engages more. We have a book to help us learn and will be going to baby sign class on tues. 

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

No

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)