Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To keep child in public school or pull out to home school this is the ?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:45 AM
  • 37 Replies

My son has had problems in public school from the very beginning. He was doing excellent this year until the Christmas break. He went from A B honer roll to failing everything. He has also had severe migraines almost daily for the past three weeks. We had a CT to rule out tumors, so that was good. He is now being referred to special ed. He also has a hard time making friends, and he is getting bullied by some of the kids. He is just a quirky kid, and a late bloomer. The other kids are moving on to harder material and he is trying to catch up. Would you just take him out and home school him, and let him learn at his own pace, or would you keep him in school and just let him go the special ed route? Any input would be fabulous.

pregnancy calendar
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this

I would make a list of pros and cons of public school and of home school and then go from there--

lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I did that (pros and cons list) and decided to keep my son in public school-

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally would not homeschool my son. It would never work for me, I am not that patient sometimes. I would talk to the teachers and see what they input on it is.

JOEJULA
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Pro and cons list sounds like a good idea..Thanks for the input

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM
A few ideas/questions:

What diagnosis/issues does your son have and how old is he?

What about keeping him in the public setting and getting him tutoring help so he doesn't fall further behind?

Why is he being bullied? Not that any bullying is ever justified. Could his headaches be stress/anxiety related if he is being bullied constantly? What is the school doing about the bullying situation?

I don't really know what to tell you about the Sp Ed question, since I am unsure about his age/issues.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I would do this as well.

Quoting lifeisajoy:

I would make a list of pros and cons of public school and of home school and then go from there--

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM

you are welcome-hope that helps you make the decision-I know this is hard I have been through this years ago-hugs to you!

Quoting JOEJULA:

Pro and cons list sounds like a good idea..Thanks for the input

JOEJULA
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:51 AM

My son is 8 and he is diagnosed  with ADD

He has was in tutoring for a while last year. We have a lady that is going to start tutoring him on Thursday's

I really dont know why he is being bullied. I think it is because he is a little over weight for his age. He is really talk and stocky. He is not that great at sports because his hand eye coordination is all off. He just seems to have a hard time building friendships with kids.

His migraines might be caused from stress and anxiety. We are supposed to go see a neurologist. So, hopefully he can tell me more on whats going on.

Thank you for the support. I will update with what we find out.

Quoting jjamom:

A few ideas/questions:

What diagnosis/issues does your son have and how old is he?

What about keeping him in the public setting and getting him tutoring help so he doesn't fall further behind?

Why is he being bullied? Not that any bullying is ever justified. Could his headaches be stress/anxiety related if he is being bullied constantly? What is the school doing about the bullying situation?

I don't really know what to tell you about the Sp Ed question, since I am insure about his age/issues.

pregnancy calendar
myfirstborn04
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM
first of all hugs to you mom! I'm sorry he is being bullied and I have migraines and understand how bad it must be for your son. is he on any meds for anything?. does he have any sensitivities, like to smell? mu oldest is 8 years old. 3rd grade has been a rough year for him. he was failing and not sleeping and just plain miserable. he has been bullied by other students since 1st grade. we ended up going to a psychiatrist and started him on sleep meds and adhd meds. he is dxd with asd. he is general ed. but does get pulled out and has a sped. teacher who has greatly helped him catch up with his work. sped is not a bad thing. he doesn't have to be in a full sped class he could just get pulled out for services. I'm not pushing meds on anyone, I know there are moms against medicating. I'm just sharing my take on it. I believe finding the right Med and getting sped services for him has played a big part in his progress today. he is padding. he is improving everyday. he just finished a report on Thomas Jefferson and I am super proud of such a great job he did. I think you should think about all the s hook can do and what homeschooling can do for him. which will be better for him. if his migraines are getting word maybe best to homeschooling but think about it and perhaps get his input aswell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KCisPaulsMom
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM

What is troubling me most is the bullying part. If his school cannot protect him and it is so bad that it is causing him to get migraines... I would homeschool. I do not see any benefit in sending your son to school to be tortured all day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)