Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Info

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 17 Replies
Hi! I am new to the group and found this site by accident today, but I am so glad I did. I have a 19 year old daughter with Downs Syndrome. She has been such a joy! With her graduating this year and having to plan for her future life is not getting easy! Scared to make wrong decisions and worried she will be well taken care of when I am gone! If any one that has been or going through the same things I am open for suggestions! If anyone needs info on our past experiences I would be happy to provide any info I can! I think I found this site just in time! Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
britmichele
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM
How is her function level? Does she have interest in college? My 4year old has downs, he's the best! :)
Jaimefoxmom
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Function level is mild. Don't know about college! Is there special Ed classes in college? 4 yrs old is such a fun age! Is he in school yet?
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:51 PM
We haven't gotten there yet- my oldest is almost 11. I hope you find some good advice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
britmichele
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:53 PM
There is a college that takes mostly downs kids :) they can choose from 2 majors. Google it, can't remember the exact name. No, he is home with me, learning :)

Quoting Jaimefoxmom:

Function level is mild. Don't know about college! Is there special Ed classes in college? 4 yrs old is such a fun age! Is he in school yet?

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!!

letstalk747
by Joy on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM

welcome , im joy , glad you are here

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Welcome to the group!  Glad you are here:)

blessed4918
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

HI I am Wanda blessed 4918 I to have  a 19 year old daughter graduating this year her name is Brittany Brittany is in a day support program 3 days a week since last January she goes to school Mondays and Tuesdays  this last school year do they have an IEP in place for her at school.

I worry to about Brittany being taken care of something happen to me no life is not getting easy one thing I really wont is respite her blue ridge case manger she is on a waiting list oh Pease

cnsmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Hi.  I'm new to this site also.  We have 3 kids (our oldest has Autism, he's 18, our second is just your typical 14 year old teenage girl, I think thats the hardest, haha!! and our youngest has Spina Bifida she's 4) Our son will graduate in the spring.  We had an IEP meeting today, we talked about what will happen next.  They gave us a few options, we aren't sure what he will do yet, but I do feel a little better about his future now.

You are so right it doesn't get any easier as they grow up.  Now is the time to worry about him being in the real world, and how will he be able to take care of himself.  I hope that you will keep us informed on the options that you find.  I hope to hear expierences of others. 

CameronsMommy23
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group! I don't have experience with this either but best of the luck to you!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)